Ball lock vs. Converted ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
As I understand it, the difference between ball lock and pin lock kegs comes down to dimensions - one is taller, skinnier and one is shorter, fatter. Are there other differences/advantages to ball lock kegs? Are converted ball lock kegs just different outside dimensions?

Still trying to wrap my mind around kegging. It must be pretty awesome - I don't consider bottling that big of a headache.

Dimensions are the biggest difference. Also, ball lock kegs typically have a manual PRV in the lid, where you can pull it up and release pressure manually. Pin locks have one built in but you can't make it release manually. To release pressure on those you have to push the poppet. I have both and prefer the ball lock manual PRV but they both work fine. I haven't minded my pin locks one bit. I actually started out with them because I could fit a 5 gallon in my fridge(being shorter and fatter).

One downside to pin locks is they're not made anymore, because Coke has a patent on the post style. So you have to buy used. This is not a big deal for 5 gallon kegs, as there are tons of used pin locks floating around. However, I brew small batches and like the smaller 2.5-3 gallon kegs, and the small pin locks are REALLY hard to find. Hence, why I also own a ball lock now.

Edit, an additional note on the lids. The lid size is the exact same for both keg styles, so if you had a pin lock and wanted to get a lid with the manual PRV there's nothing stopping you from doing that. One of my 3 gallon pin locks has one because the lid it came with actually had no PRV on it(WTF) so I bought a new one with a manual PRV.

fwiw, any patents on pin lock design aspects would have expired three decades or more ago.
More likely the manufacturers responded to the market preference for ball lock kegs...

Cheers!

fwiw, any patents on pin lock design aspects would have expired three decades or more ago.
More likely the manufacturers responded to the market preference for ball lock kegs...

Cheers!

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'm just relaying what AIH told me when I asked them why the hell their 3 gallon pin lock kegs are always out of stock.

They should have simply said "Because nobody makes pin lock kegs".
AIH doesn't list a single new pin lock keg on their site...

Cheers!

I just started kegging and one of the kegs i have is a pin lock. I converted it to a ball lock before i used it. You are correct, the dimensions are different, its shorter and a little fatter. The lid is different but I changed that as well to the lid that comes on most ball locks. The other difference I was told before i converted is that the threading of the posts are different between the two.

I now have an ESB in the converted keg and have had no issues. One thing that I really like is that this keg can fit on the compressor hump in my freezer, ball locks are to tall.

They should have simply said "Because nobody makes pin lock kegs".
AIH doesn't list a single new pin lock keg on their site...

Cheers!

I'm very aware of that, since I've bought several kegs from them. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter why they aren't out there, they just aren't. Something to possibly think about for people who might have a need for smaller kegs, and don't want to deal with different kinds of QDs.

One of my 3 gallon pin locks has one because the lid it came with actually had no PRV on it(WTF) so I bought a new one with a manual PRV.
Thats funny, I have two lids like that. I wonder if they are worth something, or maybe good for a sanke conversion?

Back