Ball Lock QD Leak From Post if not 100% Free and Clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oblongshapes

Reaction score
Hey all,

I searched and didn't see anyone with this particular problem, but anyway. Does anyone have an issue in their keezer that if the CO2 QD has a bit of pressure on it from it's own weight, the angle it meets the keg, or another keg's line resting/intersecting it, the QD is then ever so slightly off center and leaks CO2?

I'm just getting back into brewing and got my keezer up and running again. This was a problem that plagued me years ago and seems to still exist. Everything seems fine and holds for weeks. Then one day you bump up PSI on the secondary regulator and inadvertently change the angle on a line, or another line falls on it and boom - no CO2. It's no one keg or QD, so I can't blame a certain piece of equipment. Sometimes it makes me wonder if pin locks would be better, hah!

Common problem? Do I just have cheap/ill fitting QD brand, or is there a thicker post o-ring or something?
I never lose liquid on that side of the system....

You mean, there's enough play in the QD, when mounted on the post, that it leaks when wiggled, even ever so slightly?
That's not normal!

Your gas ones may be off spec. Some stuff from China can be hit and miss, QC is poor or non-existent.
All my QDs are CMB (CM Becker) embossed on the side, never have any issues with those.

Are your post o-rings the correct (standard) size?
Are they Buna-N (nitrile rubber) or silicone, which is super soft?

CMB or nothing! :D
I would replace all of the post O-rings with new, legit, post O-rings, pick up some "keg lube" and use it, and see if that resolves the leaks...

Cheers!

Ok cool. I figured something was up, otherwise there was no way this would be industry standard.

I got them off Adventures in
Homebrewing when I setup my keezer and they’re not stamped with CMB. Three of my kegs are AiHB and came with orings, one is an old racetrack, but I’ll just get all new post orings while I’m at it.

Thanks, everyone!!

Attachments

• trim.4C957B29-D668-4BD2-918A-999941925274.MOV
    3.5 MB
Last edited:
Back