Ball lock QD gaskets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsailor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, but I want to hear what others do.

When connecting the ball lock QDs to the female flare swivel nuts on clamped onto the ends of gas and beer lines do you always use the little white nylon gaskets. Some of my QDs have all metal male flare ends and some have plastic tips on the male flare end made from the same plastic as the main body of the QD.

I assume it's appropriate to always use the little gaskets when the QD male flare end is metal to get a tight seal instead of metal to metal contact inside the flare. However, do you use or not use the gaskets when the male flare end is plastic.

I've had some very small annoying leaks from time to time that have cost me a tank or 2 of CO2. So I'm just trying to eliminate any possible leaks.

I posted this same question. Seems most do not use the washer when the disconnect has the plastic tip. I didn't use them and I have no leaks.

Don't use them for Cornys. They are meant to be used when the flare nut is attached to a Sanke tap that doesn't have a gasket built in like our QDs do.

Back