Ball lock poppits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I have trouble with my pin lock kegs leaking co2 from the disconnects. I dont have this issue with my ball lock kegs. Can I just switch the posts out? Or are there different sizes?

Thanks!

I would first check the o-rings on the posts if you are having a leak when the disconnect is attached. That is almost always the issue. If it is leaking without the disconnects attached, then it is either the o-ring under the post or the poppet itself. I hope this helps!

Otherwise here is a good guide for thread sizes and whatnot:

Attachments

• Keg Thread Sizes.pdf
    264.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks! One thing I've noticed is that some of my pin lock disconnects dont seem to fit snug, they get easily knocked into a position where they start leaking, seems to generally be on the gas side. I've bought new ones but have the same issue. Have you heard of that before?
I would first check the o-rings on the posts if you are having a leak when the disconnect is attached. That is almost always the issue. If it is leaking without the disconnects attached, then it is either the o-ring under the post or the poppet itself. I hope this helps!

Otherwise here is a good guide for thread sizes and whatnot:

i've been using vasoline, is that what keg lube is? (my o-rings usually still last a few years)
Vasoline from a food safety standpoint should be safe enough, but it is a name brand for petroleum jelly. Similar to Kleenex is a brand of facial tissues.

Vasoline from a food safety standpoint should be safe enough, but it is a name brand for petroleum jelly. Similar to Kleenex is a brand of facial tissues.

LOL, i knew that! :) in fact my jar reads "Petroleum Jelly - Skin protectorant - Safeway", and if you can rub on your lips, i figured whats a dab on my posts going to do to me....when i started using the, as corrected, "Petroleum jelly", i went from burning through a 20lb tank in 2-3 months to them lasting 1-2 years....

I do really like the silicone stuff mainly because a tiny film of it leaves the poppets slick for a long time, and it doesn't stiffen up in the cold keezer. This stuff, available in many brands
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Silicone-Grease/50236505

The half ounce might be lifetime supply.
Following that link, this is what's specced out in the right side column as well as under "description:"

$3.48
  • Petroleum oil-based valve and faucet stem grease
  • Waterproof and prevents corrosion
  • Non-melting and non-hazardous
:tank:
It also mentions on the label: 90% Pure Silicone
I have one of those containers for faucet cartridge lubrication and some other uses around the house, it's definitely not vaseline. Much thinner, slicker or "oilier" so to speak.
Never used it for kegging though.

Following that link, this is what's specced out in the right side column as well as under "description:"

$3.48
  • Petroleum oil-based valve and faucet stem grease
  • Waterproof and prevents corrosion
  • Non-melting and non-hazardous
:tank:
It also mentions on the label: 90% Pure Silicone
I have one of those containers for faucet cartridge lubrication and some other uses around the house, it's definitely not vaseline. Much thinner, slicker or "oilier" so to speak.
Never used it for kegging though.
I remember a discussion a while back on some forum or other about that confusing side bar description. The part about "petroleum based" is in error. These products contain no petroleum as can be confirmed by looking at the package or other sites' descriptions. Surprised Lowes website hasn't fixed that yet as it's been a couple of years. FWIW mine comes from the neighborhood Ace, but I bet all the brands are of a single manufacture with differnt labels.

I do really like the silicone stuff mainly because a tiny film of it leaves the poppets slick for a long time, and it doesn't stiffen up in the cold keezer.
It does look and feel like a better product for keg o-rings, and especially the poppets. Never occurred to me to use it for that!

Thank you!

if you scroll down to the ingriedents page you'll see it's 'vasoline'....or in other words petroleum jelly.....

CIP Film Keg Lube as sold on morebeer for lubing posts...lol

Attachments

• SDS-CIP-FILM-May-2015.pdf
    175.7 KB · Views: 9
When I repaired my flat screen monitor that had become psychedelic, replacing what I think is the driver board (TGF eBay), I noticed an oily residue on some of the chips. They also pressed against corresponding foamy pads attached to the metal cover, having the same oil on them. Perhaps for cooling purposes. Of course I needed to use something similar on those chips of the new board, but what the heck is it? Definitely not vaseline or mineral oil.

So I decided to use that Oatey Silicone grease on them. Seems to work A-OK, still working as it should, 4 months later.

Conveniently I had just picked up a new one, here's the label. No petroleum, recommended for rubber and plastic.
1568232223833.jpg
20190911_160551.jpg

I'm starting to think it's my disconnacts. Are there different qualities of these pinlock disconnects? They all look the same to me.

I'm starting to think it's my disconnacts. Are there different qualities of these pinlock disconnects? They all look the same to me.
It's unlikely they are the culprit, but possible if they're damaged, worn out, or leaky. They're easy to test in a small bucket with Starsan, connected to the gas with 10-20 psi pressure on it. The little screw lid in the top has a flat rubber o-ring/seal. If that's distorted or missing, it will not seal, and you should see the bubbling. If they pass the test, they should be fine to use.

Once the QD is on the keg's post, the rubber o-ring on top of the post is the only seal that matters. Poppets are immaterial, both are halfway opened due to equalized spring pressure, to allow passage of gas or liquid.

It's unlikely they are the culprit, but possible if they're damaged, worn out, or leaky. They're easy to test in a small bucket with Starsan, connected to the gas with 10-20 psi pressure on it. The little screw lid in the top has a flat rubber o-ring/seal. If that's distorted or missing, it will not seal, and you should see the bubbling. If they pass the test, they should be fine to use.

Once the QD is on the keg's post, the rubber o-ring on top of the post is the only seal that matters. Poppets are immaterial, both are halfway opened due to equalized spring pressure, to allow passage of gas or liquid.
I just replaced the o rings on the posts, which is why I think I might have some faulty disconnects.

I just replaced the o rings on the posts, which is why I think I might have some faulty disconnects.
I have on at least one occasion mangled the internal o-ring in a QD when screwing the top back in after cleaning. Check them for crimping or other damage. They are cheaper than dirt to replace if this is the issue.

I have on at least one occasion mangled the internal o-ring in a QD when screwing the top back in after cleaning. Check them for crimping or other damage. They are cheaper than dirt to replace if this is the issue.
I feel super dumb now. I never realized to you take them apart and fix that. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Back