Ball lock or pinlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odh2507

Reaction score
Ound this good deal, but not sure which it is, or even something completely different....i was told they are 4 3/4 gallon and got this pic

image-2610978567.jpg

The pic is blurry but I'm 95% confident that they're pin lock.

Edit to add; I'm sure that they were pinlock originally because the short/fatness, the coke, and the lack of manual PRVs, all imply that they're pinlock, unless someone converted them to ball locks.

These were originally pin-lock style cornelius kegs made for coca cola. The posts could have been changed out with ball lock, but it is hard to tell from the pic. Here is a example of both types.

Posts.GIF

This is the other pic ive got...she said they were used on the fountain amchine, ao i imgine aince its coke they should be pin lock still. Just wanted to check w the experts. Thanks guys

image-523250725.jpg

If you can get a good deal on all 4, I would go for it. Open them up and inspect the interior. You will probably have to replace the o-rings, but they should work fine for kegging. If you prefer ball-lock connections, you can always swap out the posts. Good Luck!

$100 bucks for the set? That's a great deal - assuming at least two hold pressure!

Kegconnection has replacement lids that give PRV capability, and you can repost with ball-locks if you'd prefer.

Congrats on a sweet score!

Yea thats why i figured even if they dont hold pressure and i have to buy all new lids and o rings it is still a good deal...though she said the last time they were used they worked fine, and so all i would need is new o rings

those are deff pin lock
orginal kegs
ball lock = sides
pin lock = close to the front

So here my mind is now going, and google is not helping. How does this type of soda fountain machine work? Does it have a freezer/fridge type unit built in, to dispense cold soda? Can i make this a kegerator?? Anything usable for a kegerator in the fountain unit? Or are the kegs the only good things to come from this?

You could probably just sell the machine without kegs for $100.

Yea, thats what im thinking. She said it has a fridge that fits all 4 kegs, so ill be set with this plus new hoses and such

Back when I had to ride a dinosaur to high school, I worked at a 7-11. As I recall, the dispenser unit itself had a small in-line cooler on it.

The one in the photo has a vented lower panel that may well hide a larger cooler.

You'd have to look to be sure, though.

BTW, I just paid $120 for a pair or pin locks, yesterday. Granted, they were from my LHBS, reconditioned, cleaned and pressurized to 30 PSI (to prove they held pressure).

If you don't jump on that deal, there are plenty of us who would gladly come over and take your brewer card away from you!:)

Back