Ball Lock not flowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a keg that has stopped flowing. I did a collaboration with my brother. I pushed half of my keg into an empty one pushed half of his keg into each of the half full kegs. His keg is dispensing properly but mine that I pushed half from has stopped flowing. It holds pressure, gas escapes the relief valve and the gas in poppet. Nothing comes out of the beer out poppet. I've replaced the poppet, pulled the dip tube and checked for blockage, cleaned and returned to the keg, but still nothing from the beer out side. I've even tried using the beer in side with CO2, but it does not pressurize the keg. There are no leaks.

Suggestions?

Grab a towel and a pointy object, put some pressure in the keg, remove the beer QD, press down on the Out post poppet - and defend yourself with the towel.

If beer doesn't shoot out, the diptube or post is plugged up.
It's as simple as that.

If your brother donated a substantial mass of debris to your keg, it'll keep plugging up until you get it all out of there...

Cheers!

Grab a towel and a pointy object, put some pressure in the keg, remove the beer QD, press down on the Out post poppet - and defend yourself with the towel.

It's as simple as that.

If your brother donated a substantial mass of debris to your keg, it'll keep plugging up until you get it all out of there...

Cheers!

What day_tripper said. This exact thing happened to me.

It's as simple as that.

Cheers!

Actually, if you read my OP, I already checked the post and diptube and changed the poppet, If the diptube was blocked (even after I pulled it and double checked it), putting the CO2 on the out post would have blown it clear and added pressure to the keg.

Both beers were cold crashed and had no trub or yeast.

Actually, if you read my OP, I already checked the post and diptube and changed the poppet, If the diptube was blocked (even after I pulled it and double checked it), putting the CO2 on the out post would have blown it clear and added pressure to the keg.

Both beers were cold crashed and had no trub or yeast.

Yeah, I read your OP. I have a habit of doing that, actually.

My comments stand as written...

Cheers!

It's as simple as that.

Well this was not the case. The diptube and post were not plugged. I pointed that out in my OP. I clearly stated that I pulled and checked the diptube and replaced the poppet (which shows that the post wasn't plugged either). Until is transfer the beer to another keg, I won't truly know what the issue actually is. It could be something as simple as a turned diptube sitting flush with the inner wall. :mug:

"Until is transfer the beer to another keg, I won't truly know what the issue actually is."

Truer words have never been spoken on HBT. ;)

So, what exactly happens when you push down on the Out post poppet?
And how did you transfer half of that keg without any noted problems - but once your bro's beer mingled with yours, suddenly you can't pour a beer?

I think we're going to need Columbo on this one...

Cheers!

"Until is transfer the beer to another keg, I won't truly know what the issue actually is."

Truer words have never been spoken on HBT. ;)

So, what exactly happens when you push down on the Out post poppet?
And how did you transfer half of that keg without any noted problems - but once your bro's beer mingled with yours, suddenly you can't pour a beer?

I think we're going to need Columbo on this one...

Cheers!

Transfer was done under pressure using an out to out jump line. Auto-siphoned the beer into another keg (tested and it pours perfectly fine). The diptube had, in fact, turned while tightening the post and appeared to have seated perfectly tight against the inner wall of the keg. I will probably have to shorten the diptub slightly to ensure that it doesn't happen again. :ban:

Was that the final conclusion on this.

I have a similar issue however
1. if I push the post's puppet with a pointy object beer is coming out fast. (cant say at what debit)
2. what I find interesting is that if I play with the quick disconnect top screw, opening it (!) till the point beer is coming out from that screw then I gain pressure in the line! Obviously that's not an option. So is not the dip stick, the way I look at it is the post+disconnect coupling, feels like the ballock pin doesn't push the puppet in to open the spring.

I had a heck of a time to pressure push the fermented beer into the keg and now I am having issues trying to get it out.
I don't have the option to get it moved out into a different vessel.

I have another post open on this, sorry for cross posting, thought the knowledgeable ones on this thread would get a bump and provide some wisdom.

I will try to get a brand new post tonight althou I tried to extend the spring from the ballock to make it stronger that didn't work. Btw a day after I push the beer in I open the popper and had no problem with the flow. It's just mystifying! These are Indian made corny kegs. Fairly new.

I can try to see if I can remove the post but need to to find a way to stop the flow so don't shoot beer all over the place. I could swap the post from another keg (bulb lit!)

Last edited:
Back