Ball Lock Liquid Disconnect Won't Come Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
So I'm having trouble getting my liquid disconnect off after accidentally forcing it on the post probably too hard (I'm a kegging n00b). The collar won't come up to release it and it's not budging at all. How to I get this freaking thing off? Hopefully without entirely ruining it since I don't really feel like burning money on stupid kegging mistakes.

You probably have it on the gas post.

Check if it has IN written next to the post or if the post has a serrated bases or notches in it.

If that's the case, then take a flat head screw driver and pry from the bottom of the QD while lifting the ring.

Gas posts have serrations around by the nut or notches cut in them.
Sometimes kegging noobs put them on the wrong side not knowing there is a difference.

It's on the out post and there's no serrations by the nut. The other kegs worked fine, this disconnect's collar is just not moving at all. I'll try the screw driver and see if I get anywhere with that.

Are there any notches cut in the nut of the post?
That is another waty to identify IN post.

Did you take apart the QD and clean it?
Possible that you assembled it wrong too.

The screw driver got the collar up and it just popped right off. Hopefully it's not too damaged, it doesn't appear to be. I'll just have to be more careful in the future as it works perfectly fine now.

And that my friend is how I got into brewing. Unemployment sucks! Hope yours doesn't last as long as mine did!

Be sure you always lube the o-ring well before putting on the disconnects. Dry o-rings are often the problem in stuck disconnects. I agree with the other post that mentions excessive drinking, but putting lube on the Oring is a much better fix than drinking less beer!

Back