Ball lock gas post not threading on.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
Well this was my first time using this keg, it is my dad's old equipment from years ago. The gas post is not threading onto the thread on the keg. Now I'm not sure what would thread is causing the problem, the gas post's threads or the threads on the keg.

What would be the suggestion, go for buying new gas post? Is there anyway to even replace the threads on the keg?

Thanks.

Was the keg intact and you removed both posts for cleaning? Or was it missing the gas post and you're trying to find one that fits?

Cheers!

Oh sorry, I forgot that. Removed the posts for cleaning so I'm not sure if it was over tightened before and the threads were ruined then. The threads don't look ruined but it's really not going on evenly or as easily as it should be.

Liquid one threaded on with fingers till it seated and then I tightened just a little more with a socket. I know the dangers of over tightening from working on motorcycles and this was my first time using this old keg so I I was not the last person to tighten it on.

Ok, so we ruled out threading on the wrong side - I don't think they are different, but then again, I never tried.

Use a magnifying glass to look at the threads, both on the keg, and on the inside of the post. If one looks like it's split, it was probably cross threaded at one point. It will be a PITA, but you should be able thread it on, carefully. If it doesn't get started, you might have to tap/die it.

Back