Ball Lock conversion kit - Thoughts on double O-rings on dip tubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm converting my kegs from pin lock to ball lock and I'm getting ready to fill my first converted keg.

The conversion kits I purchased have flat rubber O-rings for the dip tubes. These appear to be a little thicker than my usual O-rings. The flat design seems to fit well against the keg, but my dip tubes are slightly concave on top, so I don't know if the flat O-rings will fit as well there.

It seems to me that the new ball lock posts don't tighten down quite as well as the pin locks did. But right now I'm tightening them down with a closed end wrench, which I don't think lets me tighten them as much as a socket as the notch around the rubber keg handle is pretty narrow. I have a deep-set socket arriving tomorrow, so that should resolve the issue.

I assembled the keg, filled it with water and put some CO2 in it. Nothing seemed to be leaking and it held pressure for several hours. The pressure did drop - I assume the little headspace of CO2 was dissolving into the water.

I'm trying to decide if I just go with the flat washer, or double up with a rounded silicone washer on top and the flat rubber washer below (see pic). Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone happen to know where I can buy the flat rubber washers?

Thanks for your help!

Diptube.jpg

I'd use just the flat one, and I've never seen the flat ones for sale.

Actually, those were (still?) called "quad seal" rings and are the preferred style for dip tube flanges...
I tried the double O-ring and did not like the way the gas poppet sat. The replacement ball lock posts come with universal poppets. The liquid side sets perfectly flush - with one or two O-rings. The gas side is just a little cock-eyed, but still seems to seal fine. Adding the second O-ring seemed to make it even more cock-eyed. Not sure if it's just this keg. I tried switching poppets and springs around, but it made no difference. Anyway, I'm going with the flat ones.

Got the deep-set socket yesterday and everything tightens down well. I filled the keg this morning and will be installing in the keezer later today.

Thanks for the help!

Back