ball bearings = dumped beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricksam

Reaction score
Ooooohhhhh, the humanity! I just had to dump my first 5 gallon batch because of the metalic taste the ball bearings I used for dry hopping released into my beer. Unsure if it was the fact that these were from a used bearing or not, but they went in shiney and clean and came out of the beer a dark color and the beer tasted and even looked gnarly. Extent of damage may not be fully realized yet as this was done in a Better Bottle so I'm hoping the plastic doesn't absorb that taste...

Let these 5 gallons forever be martyred in the quest for great beer...

Hey at least you could get your daily recommended dose of iron. SS bearings next time?

Well, the bearing came from my WD45 Allis Chalmers tractor that I was tearing apart this last winter...that *&^$%$@% piece of shat showed me who was boss by wrecking my beer.
I use hop pellets and usually just toss them in, but I was a little shy on beer volume and wanted to eliminate any loss to hop matter so I tried the bag with balls. See if I can round up enough marbles for the next effort I guess....
I appreciate the support fellow brewers...it is helping with my healing...

tractor & brew.jpg

So you couldn't toss a magnet into the beer to remove the metallic taste?

I will take very despirate measures before dumping 5gals, and even if I do I'll run it through a still first...

Interesting tactic, how did you clean the bearings before adding? It might have been the grease that was still on the bearings that transferred a flavor rather than the balls themselves. Even shiny bearings, used or new will probably have a grease residue.

Sorry to hear about the beerly departed, but that's what you get for clashing two worlds together. You going to fuel that tractor on Doppelbock? ;)

That's tough. And to think, I thought it was all ball bearings these days! :)

Interesting tactic, how did you clean the bearings before adding? It might have been the grease that was still on the bearings that transferred a flavor rather than the balls themselves. Even shiny bearings, used or new will probably have a grease residue.

Sorry to hear about the beerly departed, but that's what you get for clashing two worlds together. You going to fuel that tractor on Doppelbock? ;)

Cleaned em good. Soaked the hell outta them. I imagine some oil could have been impregnated into the steel but this was metal taste. Lesson learned I guess...

Gotta get my still together so I can make some fuel.:mug:

Back