Balcones Whiskey Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend used one for a Porter from Balcones he got from Austins Homebrew. He also made another beer in it that I can't remember what it was. Beer was good and barrel was fine. Actually looks nice sitting on a small table in his dining room. Of course YRMV. That price is decent as well I think. Sometimes you can find them for $100, but that's usually at Xmas.

I've used a Balcone Barrel in the past. Still have it in my living room, though it's no longer suited for filling/aging. Worked great and looks nice too.

How much whiskey flavor do they toss into the brew?

A good amount depending on how long you let it sit. We did 30 days and it was pretty mild but there. Smaller barrels means more surface area, which means shorter time for the barrel flavors to take hold.

I can say it smelled very strongly of whiskey when it arrived, and it was still very soaked. Good stuff.

Me and a buddy have used them several times over the past few years. Always had great results with the flavors for RIS and barlywines.

They are usually freshly dumped. Good price as well!

The first beer you put in will have substantial whiskey flavor. It will diminish in subsequent fillings. Good barrels for homebrew though.

IMG_2063.JPG
Just got mine on Tuesday so have not got beer in it yet. Nice looking and comes with the dump date and a small stand. Pop bung and it had pressure. Put a fifth of Jim in it to keep it moist till the beer is ready

Last edited:
I got my barrel in today. It looks pretty good I filled it with water to swell the staves. Tomorrow I will sanitize it and fill it with an American Stout that ready.
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg

Just pulled my barleywine out of the cask. Gave it 3 days in it. Did not want to push it over the edge with oak.
Gave it a quick rinse and put some Jim back in it to keep for the next brew

I wonder why the ones at my LHBS are so $$$. I'll have to as the owner next time I'm in there. Are the barrels you guys posted charred inside?

I wonder why the ones at my LHBS are so $$$. I'll have to as the owner next time I'm in there. Are the barrels you guys posted charred inside?

To me it looks like the barrels at your LHBS are brand new. Maybe that’s why they are so expensive. The advantage to that is you could start out with a sour beer. The disadvantage is there will be no bourbon character to do a bourbon barrel aged RIS.

@mj1angier that’s a good price on that barrel. Atlantic brew supply has great customer service and fast free shipping.

Jamie, one of the girls in our brew club, works there. She put me one to the side. In fact, just got home from her house. Club filled a 55 gal barrel a few months ago and we got our share back today.

!0 gallon of BCBS clone is a nice thing to have!!

Blue Owl In Austin uses them on their tap room only beers. Since I just put an Imperial Stout in mine wanted to, 1st hand, see what the character would be like. I got mostly oak with little bourbon on theirs. However one sample doesn't mean much. They said 2 weeks tops for these because of the high surface to liquid ratio. It took alot of water to get mine to seal so hope the bourbon flavor didn't wash away. I know more in a few days. Got it for $90, but LHBS knows me pretty well so it was discouted. Cheers!
aviary-image-1516851505018.jpeg

Edit: Took another sample tonight day 5. YES! The bourbon starting to come through!! Excited. Maybe another couple days, the Imperial Stout is hot also so this needs to age anyway.

Last edited:
I transferred my Charlie Murphy stout aka Darkness to the keg. It had a great bourbon barrel character. I’m very impressed with my Balcones barrel.
IMG_0388.jpg

Back