Bag-in-box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoc

Reaction score
Any experiences or opinions on the use of bag-in-box products?

I know that some suppliers do say that they supply the home brew market.

After finishing the original contents, I took a commercially produced bag-in-box apart. It was quite easy to take the tap off the bag, fill it with water and replace the tap without spilling it all over the place.

Washing and sterilizing seem to be no problem either.

Sounds like a good way to package wine for quick consumption. I wouldn't age in it though. There is a reason that you don't find good wine in a bag.

I don't go by ratings. Ratings are taken at the time the wine hits the shelves. Most of their highly rated wines are dead within a year of the review, and often the review isn't published for a couple months after the tasting. Also, they knock points off if it is a low production wine and try to keep certain wineries happy. I haven't personally tried a bag in box wine, but the packaging alone turns me away. They claim to be green, but glass is one of the most easily reusable and recyclable substances around. Paper and plastic are actually rather hard to recycle, and if you don't completely rinse off all the wine, the recycling plant will throw it in the landfill anyway.

In other words, the whole thing is a sham. IMO of course.

Oh, the reason you don't find good wine in a bag is because good wine is to be aged. I am willing to bet my reputation on this one. I bet any wine that comes in a bag is micro-ox'd. Micro-ox is a way of artificially aging wine to rush it to the shelves. This process also makes it impossible to age in the bottle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/dining/reviews/boxed-wines-review.html?pagewanted=all

There are two reasons you don't get expensive or high quality wine in bag in boxes. THe first one is purely image. We, as people, are highly swayed by the outer packaging. Wine is somehow supposed to be classy, upscale and somehow, a box doesn't fit our sensibilities. Because of this, people (in general) prefer glass vessels (usually with corks) over screw caps, bag in box, or kegs.
This does mean that shipping, and cost of the vessel makes a wine more expensive, but cost is part of image as well. We think of an expensive drink to be better. (Often this is the case, but sometimes price has less to do with quality, and is due to cost, or attempting to raise the perception of the item/wine itself).
Haven't we all seen where we have made a decent drink, wine, mead, beer, but the bottles wind up costing the same amount or even more than the drink inside?

The second is material. Because there hasn't been as high a demand, there would be less people willing to use it, and less people willing to research to improve the barrier material. Back when, there wasn't money involved. It was better to make a funky looking bottle of glass and charge extra then to research plastic material for a box, since boxes had the perception of low quality. If this is the case, why put a quality wine in it?

There's some redesign in thinking in the past few years. Packaging waste, packaging cost due to weight and space requirements, so it's quite possible that bag in boxes will wind up being improved.

That said, I still don't think I'd age a wine in a bag in box, or put some really expensive wine in it. (Actually, I'd age the wine in a stainless steel vessel, a keg). But I'd really love to have a spare bag in box or two filled with anywhere from cheap, to at least decent wine, to be easily used for traveling.

I made my cider this year in a 250liter bag, held in a cardboard cylinder. After 5 1/2 months the cider was good, a cheap way to age cider or wine. The smaller 4 liter bags have a short use-by date because they are oxygen permeable, maybe 2-3 months. there are bags up to 1000 litres volume, would be ok for up to a year.
You shouldn't re-use the bags, not really possible to sanitise them properly. The bags I used were aseptic, a good clean container.

Back