"Bag In A Box" Good Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy1066

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im loving my new home brew hobby and am now on my 4th batch of ale and was thinking of using "Bag In A Box" instead of bottling. I would love to hear from you guys on what you think about using this method. Also was wondering if i did go with this idea do i prime the bags with sugar before filling? i'm guessing not, but don't quite know how it would work.
You guys have been so much help in the past, so i turn to you again. Please Help...

Hi Guys

Im loving my new home brew hobby and am now on my 4th batch of ale and was thinking of using "Bag In A Box" instead of bottling. I would love to hear from you guys on what you think about using this method. Also was wondering if i did go with this idea do i prime the bags with sugar before filling? i'm guessing not, but don't quite know how it would work.
You guys have been so much help in the past, so i turn to you again. Please Help...

Nope, if you mean repurposing a wine bag in a box with a spout. If the bag could hold the pressure from carbing you might get a few pours but as you take beer out of the bag the CO2 release and replace the volume and you will slowly loose your carbonation. And like I said that is all "IF" the bag can handle the pressure, that would be a big mess.

It will be like the Hindenburg, the good thing is there won't be a fire and no one will die, you'll just have a mess on your hands!!

You might take a look at the Party Pig. It sort of accomplishes some of the same things a bag-in-box does, only for beer. There's another version of it which is more generic and doesn't involve the pig shape (and probably costs less), but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it right now. Note that you WILL lose carbonation over time, just like if you were using a 3L bottle. So, it's good for a group or party where you know it's all going to get poured relatively quickly, but if you leave it sit at 1/5 capacity the CO2 is going to fill the headspace and the beer will lose carbonation.

Back