Bag for grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhimself

Reaction score
So, I am in need of a bag for grains I recently ordered from AHS. I completely forgot to order the cheap muslin bag or the nicer (and reusable) nylon bag for steeping grains in my extract recipe.

I was wondering if there was any place like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Wal-Mart, Target, or any of the major retail chains that sell similar bags that are food grade, meaning they don't have any chemicals or such that will come off when I put them in 155 degree water.

In return... a dancing banana :ban:

A 5 gallon Paint Strainer bag from Home Depot or Lowe's would probably do the trick.

+1

I got this 5 gallon strainer bag from the paint section of a hardware store (Home Depot or Lowes - I don't remember which one). It fits perfectly on my bottling bucket (DIY lautering tun):

IMG_5846.JPG

Paint strainer bags work, panty hose (natural color no dye) or if you want to stick with natural fabrics then produce department of a natural foods store like whole foods might have the expensive cotton bags. I bought one of those a year ago and since it was so expensive I just stare at it and never use it. LOL

I don't need a massive bag. Something that holds anywhere from 2-4 lbs of grains would be ideal. I have a home depot right down the road... I will give it a shot.

I just don't want to impart any weird chemical flavors.

I don't need a massive bag. Something that holds anywhere from 2-4 lbs of grains would be ideal. I have a home depot right down the road... I will give it a shot.

They also make 2 gallon paint strainer bags. They're made from nylon and don't impart flavor, even in boiling temperatures.

They also make 2 gallon paint strainer bags. They're made from nylon and don't impart flavor, even in boiling temperatures.

When I was there, I saw 1-gallon and 5-gallon bags. They also had a package of 4 square yards of cheesecloth, which I have used as hop bags. The width is not enough for large amounts of grains, though.

walmart has those kneehigh stockings that come in the little 25cent prize eggs for 33 cents a pair, dont get any dyed colors.

not sure but i fit 5 lbs of sliced bananas, with room to spare, probably could have fit double.. all steeping grain recipes i have done so far would fit..

DSCF1319.jpg

6.5 qt pot for size reference

Back