Bad yeast? Thoughts on this failed brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try and make this short, ugghhhh.

About a month ago, my friend failed to bring my yeast shipment inside/refrigerator while I was out of town. It sat 2 days in 95 degrees garage (maybe hotter).

Kviek yeast...

When i got home the yeast packs (omega) were like balloons. I put them in the fridge and they settled down.

Anyways I made a yeast starter and things looked OK so i decided to use them.

I brewed a 11 gallon 1.068 IPA and pitched the yeast like I always do at proper temps. 8 hours later looked good. The following morning I had a 10" thick krausen. Looked good.

Using Kviek yeast I tried to duplicate the same exact recipe and process i used 3 weeks prior (best beer I ever brewed). This same yeast (3 weeks prior) completed fermentation in less than 3 days (FG was 1.011) temp control was 180f (Keviek likes heat). I had it in the keg day 7 - amazing beer........

So duplicating the same process from before, I cold crashed on day 5 (no i didn't check gravity before doing this - big mistake)...... I was about to keg 2 days later -- It tasted like liquid metal. I was so confused because everything looked perfect just like the prior brew. Checked gravity and was 1.032. Couldn't understand why because the fermentation looked vigorous. Plus Kviiek yeast is super fast.

My question is could the yeast have been bad because being left out in the heat for 2 days? Even though the yeast starter did well and fermentation looked great (vigorous). Everything by my eyes looked great.

Side note: I also ruined the next batch because I crop topped ^ this batches top layer. Made a yeast starter with it right away and looked healthy/ gravity 1.010. The beer completed fermentation at 1.010 BUT TASTED LIKE LIQUID METAL! Separate conical fermenter.

Any thoughts? Sorry i know that's a lot of text.

Following from howtobrew.com

"Metallic
Tastes/Smells Like: Metal, mainly iron, also described as tasting like pennies or blood, Felt on the front of the mouth and back of the throat.

Possible Causes: Wort being boiled in unprocessed metals, mainly iron, but also aluminum, and steel (excluding stainless) is usually the source of metallic flavors. Metallic flavors can also be extracted from metal brewing equipment, bottle caps and/or kegs. Using water that has high levels of iron will impart iron flavors. Improperly stored grains can also cause metallic off flavors.

How to Avoid:
Use stainless steel pots and brewing equipment (fittings, spoons, etc.) when possible. Avoid using iron for anything that will be coming in contact with beer/wort. If using a ceramic coated steel pot, always check for cracks or scratches before using. Stainless steel will not give off any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots will generally only cause metallic flavors when using alkaline water with a pH over 9. If using an aluminum pot, you can “bake” the pot in an oven at 250ºF for 6 hours to increase the protective oxides. Always use fresh, properly stored grain. Avoid using water with iron in it, such as unfiltered well water."

Did your starter have this flavor too?

What are you using for water?

I didn't taste the starters (never do gross lol) i only check the gravity and they did the job around 1.011. I use RO water with brewing salts added (i use beersmith)

i should also mention. on the 1st brew when i got a 1.030 reading after cold crashing.... i obviously didn't keg it. I let the firmzilla warm back up to 80f and a few days later the yeast took off again. 4 days later the reading was 1.011. So they finished eating but it still tasted horrible. I let it sit another week and tasted again. Horrible. Then i dumped it.

This is probably close to 150 batches in my life. Everything looked perfect. The only issue was the yeast package sitting out in heat for 2 days.... but it still worked and did it's job - just producing an awful flavor.

Yeast autolysis perhaps?
Dead, decomposing yeast: Tastes and smells like liver/vegemite, burnt rubber, or even pure death. Horrible!

Now with only 2 packs of that pitched in a 5 gallon batch it should not taint it that much. And you probably would have smelled it when decanting or pouring the starter.

Did you change anything in your process or equipment since the last good batch?

Yeast autolysis perhaps?
Dead, decomposing yeast: Tastes and smells like liver/vegemite, burnt rubber, or even pure death. Horrible!

Now with only 2 packs of that pitched in a 5 gallon batch it should not taint it that much. And you probably would have smelled it when decanting or pouring the starter.

Did you change anything in your process or equipment since the last good batch?

Thank you. Good info.... . And no, not at all. It was the same process. It was also an 11 gallon batch both times. I Pitched 2 packs. Starter via 2 packs about 2000ml. Not crazy big but i hear kveik does well under pitched - I don't believe it was under pitched, just sayin.

Back