Bad Taste after 3 weeks bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinoIII

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm rookie in the Homebrew world. I did my first extract batch some weeks ago, I left it 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary, then I bottled. After two weeks bottled I tasted it and it was good, in the 3rd week it was awesome and clear. That was 3 days ago but today I tasted 2 bottles and the flavor was really awful, like really malty or buttery. What could caused this? I ate some hot Thai food today before I tasted my beers today. Could that be the reason? Sorry if you read some typos, English is not my first language.

Butter makes me think diacetyl, but describe the "bad" taste further. Palmer's book does a nice job of describing a lot of common flavors and scents, see this section (and read the rest at your leisure, solid knowledge base).

Might be useful as well to share What the beer is, and more details of your process. E.g. what temp was it fermented at, etc.

Lastly (but really first), I'd suggest that you try some with a fresh palate...Thai can be a palate wrecker, and cause your palate to latch onto totally different flavors than a neutral palate.
(PS: Your English is fine, better than many native speakers that I interact with).

+1 to the Thai palate wrecker. Depending on what I have, I often can't really taste my beer for a day or so after.

+1 to the Thai palate wrecker. Depending on what I have, I often can't really taste my beer for a day or so after.

As someone who spends a fair chunk of time in coastal China, that palate wreckage can be key to tolerating adjunct-heavy light lagers :mug:
Tsingtao always tastes better when your mouth is on fire!

The beer is an "Oktoberfest" but with Safale US-05 instead of lager yeast. The recipe: .75lbs Weyermann caramunich II, .50 lbs Weyermann Melanoidin, 2lbs Briess Golden DME (60 min), 6lbs Malt syrup (15 min), 1 oz Perle hops (60 min). I fermented it at 65 F. 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. After 3 weeks bottled I put some bottles in the refrigerator and they tasted good and I could see my hand in the other side of the glass ...but that changed. Now it is clear only when is out of the refrigerator but as soon as I put the bottle on it the clarity changes and it is turning cloudy and it is tasting terrible. Could it be the temperature of the refrigerator? I discarded the Thai food theory.

The beer is an "Oktoberfest" but with Safale US-05 instead of lager yeast. The recipe: .75lbs Weyermann caramunich II, .50 lbs Weyermann Melanoidin, 2lbs Briess Golden DME (60 min), 6lbs Malt syrup (15 min), 1 oz Perle hops (60 min). I fermented it at 65 F. 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. After 3 weeks bottled I put some bottles in the refrigerator and they tasted good and I could see my hand in the other side of the glass ...but that changed. Now it is clear only when is out of the refrigerator but as soon as I put the bottle on it the clarity changes and it is turning cloudy and it is tasting terrible. Could it be the temperature of the refrigerator? I discarded the Thai food theory.

No. If it's getting cloudy and the taste is terrible, after being nice and clear and tasting great, that points to an infection process.

Back