Bad smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingguter

Reaction score
Brewed my first all grain beer 3 weeks ago. It was a Belgian Saison and I hit my mash temp right at 148 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. I fly sparged and did everything just as I have read to do. It has been in fermenter for 3 weeks and today I went to bottle the beer. I popped the lid and took a whif and it about knocked me down. It burned my nose and stunk. I went ahead and syphone to bottling bucket and bottled it, but Im just not feeling like the beer will be any good;. Its been 2 hours and I still got that crazy smell in my nose... Thoughts?

Ideally it should smell like beer but I've had instances where if you stick your nose in too quick you get a big dose of alcohol fermented stink, it should've dissipated a bit after a few minutes. Taste it, if it looks and tastes like beer go ahead and bottle/ keg, condition and try one again in a couple weeks it'll probably be fine. As long as there was no funky stuff sitting on top should be fine

HAH you will never put your head over your bucket RIGHT after openning it again I'm sure. That burning sulfurish smell that is lingering in your nose... that's from CO2. There was a ton of it trapped in your bucket and when you opened the lid it all shot into your face. Next time, let it vent a min before you put your head over it.

Sounds like you got a nose full of CO2 - that'll explain the burning. Saisons and Belgians can smell a little funky too. ( I have a wit in the fermenter right now that has a mildly sulfury smell to it that should fade). Unless youre saying your beer smelled like rotten garbage, everything sounds pretty normal.

Back