Bad Smell (Sulfur Type)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bijahi

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue. I bought a 4-head soda dispenser for home use. Everything was good at first and now I have a bad sulfur type smell whenever I dispense my soda. At first I just had a small carbon filter attached to my water line just before it enters the carbonator. I recently had a household filter installed right where my water comes into my house that is designed to filter out iron and sulfur smell and taste so the water going into my carbonator goes through that first and then into my small carbon filter as well. I no longer have the sulfur smell coming from my faucets in the house but for some reason it still smells really bad coming out of my soda dispenser. Any ideas as to why this would be? I plan on buying sanitizing solution to run through my syrup lines to see if that will help, but have no idea if that's even what's causing the smell or not. I have to believe that my water is fine going through the 2 different filters so something must be causing the smell from the syrup lines and/or carbonator. Is there an easy way to even sanitize the carbonator without taking everything apart? The carbonator was brand new when I bought it. Has anyone else had this issue or can anyone offer any kind of help or suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? Does bacteria in the lines even produce that kind of smell? I am so lost and frustrated on what to try or do :( Nobody wants to drink soda that smells bad.

Maybe your second filter (the small one) is saturated with whatever it is that causes the smell (hydrogen sulfide?)?
I would remove the second (original, small) filter and see whether the smell goes away.

Back