Bad News for Apfelwein lovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Prepare to open your wallets.

From the AP this morning.

AP) Apple juice prices, already at historic highs, are expected to climb further as production in Washington State Japanese Beetle infested groves bottoms out.

But it's not just consumers who will be affected: Juice makers like Motts, Martinelli, and Tree Top which get the vast majority of their juice from Washington, are facing a profit squeeze from rising domestic prices and imports from South America that come with margin-killing tariffs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture this week predicted Washington would produce 135 million 90-pound boxes of apples, down about 40 percent from production levels before the 2004 growing season. It would be the third year in a row of subpar production, and the worst apple harvest since freezes crippled crops in 1990.

"I can tell you that we'll monitor this, and decide what course we need to take as we analyze the information," Tree Top spokesman Ray Crockett said, declining to answer specific questions about possible price hikes.

Both Tree Top and Motts had just announced price increases to retailers even before the USDA announcement. Tree Top instituted a 20 percent bump, citing "continued pressures on supply and cost" that are strengthening. The company said it expected prices to continue to rise as the Washington harvest falls.

Martinelli last month announced a 10 percent to 15 percent hike in wholesale list prices for its Cider and 100% Natural Apple juice, effective this month.

However, it remains to be seen what consumers are willing to pay. A 9 percent jump in average retail prices this year to $5.89 per gallon has met with a 6 percent drop in volume, according to an ACNielsen report for the four weeks ended Sept. 2. This falls after a nationwide 10% increase in juices sales due to a recipe for Apfelwein posted on a homebrew Internet forum.

Following an earnings report Thursday, Tree Top Chief Executive Johnny Appleseed said the cost of Apple juice for the Tree Top line was the biggest pressure on profit.

"Tree Top is analyzing how this significantly low crop yield estimate will impact the juice category and particularly Apfelwein production by the Homebrewtalk.com forum members," spokesman Pete Brace said in a written statement. "However, this small crop yield estimate will provide little relief to consumer prices or fans of Apfelwein."

To make up the shortfall, wholesalers will likely have to rely more on imports of Brazilian juice, which carry a nearly 30-cent per gallon tariff. The state of Washington is second only to the country of China in world Apple production.

Brace declined to specify how much more juice Tree Top might have to import.

Bob Norberg, deputy executive director of research and operations at the Washington Department of Apples, said state economists were still working on a model projecting how much imports might rise. However, he said significant demand in the rest of the world will limit how much juice is directed to the U.S. market.

"(Imports) will be up, but they won't make up the entire shortfall," Norberg said. "Prices will go up to allocate the available supply."

The good news for growers is that high prices for their scarce fruit could provide some of their best returns in over a decade. Production inputs like fuel, labor and new chemical sprays to fight fruit-damaging diseases had been squeezing their margins, and overall citrus acreage has continued to decline as some sell off their land to hungry developers with hefty checks.

Mike Sparks, executive vice president and CEO of Washington’s Apple Mutual, the state's largest grower's group, said the projected import hikes shouldn't concern growers.

"If the crop ever got so low that you had to take it off the shelves in the grocery store, it would be tough to get that space back," he said.

Copyright AP (Apple Press, satire written by Edwort)

yep just put five gallons in as week speak and as soon as i can taste it if i likey i will start another 10-20 and be set lol on another note when i go to transfer mine to the bottling bucket to bottles can i just put more juice and dextrose in there on the trub and let it keep doing it's thing?

i bought the concentrate this time and used leftover DME instead of dextrose. cheapest brew yet! :)

i also have 5 gallons ready to keg.

:ban:

too bad about teh price increase but i probably won't be buying the $50 worth from Trader Joes anymore anyway.

Interesting. I just went to Meijer two days ago to buy more apple juice for another batch of apfelwein, and noticed that the prices went up since my first batch about 2 months ago. Now I know why. :(

Maybe I should buy more now before it goes up even more.

Walmart still had some on sale when I was there Wednesday to pick some up for my last batch. I'll stop by tomorrow and pick up another 10 gal if it is still on sale.

i bought the concentrate this time and used leftover DME instead of dextrose. cheapest brew yet! :)
That's funny. I have been told that my Apfelwein tasted like a "Good Beer" with a jolly rancher in it.

Now you've got what???? Apple beer? Sorta?

Target is the Rock Bottom price for Motts (Under $3.00 a gallon) in Colorado.

That's funny. I have been told that my Apfelwein tasted like a "Good Beer" with a jolly rancher in it.

Now you've got what???? Apple beer? Sorta?

i think it will pretty much be the same with a little more body to it. i used about a pound each of pilsner and light DME from briess.

it was a really half-assed brew day at a friends house. i boiled one of the cans with water and the DME and i sanitized the carboy and funnel, but i actually forgot to sanitize the pot i was using to pour the rest of the cans into, whoops! i realized after about a gallon, and just said screw it.

i'm sure it will be fine. i want to do a no-sanitize brew and start a thread, but i think it would convince people to not properly prepare...that would not be good. across the world, beers would turn sour :D

i want to do a no-sanitize brew and start a thread, but i think it would convince people to not properly prepare...that would not be good. across the world, beers would turn sour :D

Dude! I want to brew at your house.
I've actually had the thought of seeing how much you can get away with. I know you can get a bad bug no matter how careful you are, but what about if you're a pig?
They made beer for thousands of years before StarSan.
I wouldn't make it a habit, but it would be a fun experiment.

Dude! I want to brew at your house.
I've actually had the thought of seeing how much you can get away with. I know you can get a bad bug no matter how careful you are, but what about if you're a pig?
They made beer for thousands of years before StarSan.
I wouldn't make it a habit, but it would be a fun experiment.

lol, come on over!

what we need to do is get a "magic" paddle like the vikings had, that contains the house yeast :D

:rockin:

Well I just got 10 gallons from Costco, they were $6.69 for 2 gallon bundles. I'm just waiting on a better bottle and some other stuff from AHS to start this 10 gallon batch :D

Copyright AP (Apple Press, satire written by Edwort) .

Attention to details folks....

Good Old Ed having a bit of fun at our expense. I almost made a call from overseas back home to strongarm somebody to get 10 gallons in the fermenters before prices spiked....then I saw the last line.

Good Job Ed. Ya almost got me. :D

Cake

Attention to details folks....

Good Old Ed having a bit of fun at our expense. I almost made a call from overseas back home to strongarm somebody to get 10 gallons in the fermenters before prices spiked....then I saw the last line.

Good Job Ed. Ya almost got me. :D

Cake

I wondered how long it would take someone to read the whole thing. :D

you sir...are a pain in the ass.

Funny...but shouldn't you be working on the BrewHaus?

JERK! :D

Thanks. If it had not been for Cakehole, ya'll would have read the first couple sentences and that had been that. Read the whole thing. There are some clues that it is an Onion type article. :D

BTW, I did work on the Brewhaus today. It's is now ready for shingles. Whoo Hoo! Pics to follow in the brewhaus thread.

I must confess, I searched for about 15 minutes for the AP press release about the apple shortage before I went back and read the post again.

look closely at the juice you are buying. I have a hard time finding it that is not from china, chile, or argentina. The only US juice is usually farm fresh brand. I'm lucky if I can buy 5 gallons at a time. By the way the country of origin is hidden on the neck of the bottle and sometimes hard to find.

LOL, great one Ed! Your news jargon skills are excellent. Consider writing to the Onion.

P.S. I just bought 10 gallons of AJ at Costco on Saturday for you-know-what.

Very convincing article, great job Ed!

With that said, the last time I bought apple juice at target, although the shelf tags said it was just under $3/gal for the store brand and about $3.29/gal for mott's, at the register they each rang up for about a dollar more, which is a bad sign of impending price hikes. Suddenly the $5.26 for 6 quarts at sam's club isn't so bad, provided that doesn't go up too...

You got me as well. :eek: Great job on the article! If I hadn't just purchased some apple juice at an inflated price to make me think the article was real, I might have read more than the first two paragraphs. Lesson learned.

I found a real article from AP on an Orange juice shortage, did a search & replace plus a little add lib, and voila! I thought for sure someone would catch the HBT references and call BS, but I buried them a few paragraphs down. Looks like some folks are still skimming the article.

Very convincing article, great job Ed!

With that said, the last time I bought apple juice at target, although the shelf tags said it was just under $3/gal for the store brand and about $3.29/gal for mott's, at the register they each rang up for about a dollar more, which is a bad sign of impending price hikes. Suddenly the $5.26 for 6 quarts at sam's club isn't so bad, provided that doesn't go up too...

motts is one of the brands around that use concentrate from china. The only one I can find is the natural pressed motts. I realize the article was false but I still don't want to use chinese juice.

Back