Bad Diacetyl Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster72

Reaction score
For my first all-grain batch, I made EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I used US-05 because Notty wasn't available at my LHBS.

I hit my mash temperature and everything seemed to be okay other than a low efficiency from a poor crush.

I didn't rehydrate the US-05. I pitched at 70 then cooled my swamp cooler to 65.

I swirled/shook the wort pretty well I thought to aerate.

The yeast was a very slow starter and fermentation was slow. 3 days to get a good krausen going, total fermentation took close to 10 days.

After 14 days in primary, I tasted it and there is a strong diacetyl taste - almost like a glass of chardonnay. I swirled the carboy the best I could and left it another 10 days. Still very bad diacetyl - no noticeable improvement. It's been 7 days since I last tasted it, so we're at just over a month in primary at this point.

I don't mind leaving it in the primary longer, but am not sure how long I should leave it. Is there any chance that racking to secondary might rouse the yeast and help process the diacetyl? Should I leave it in primary another month? Put it in a keg and try in 3 months?

What would you do?

I had the same problem with a blond ale that I made. I left it to ferment longer the taste did subside a bit but it's still bad. I think you should let it sit longer the yeast may eat up that diacityl taste

Im sure with mine it was because of a warm fermentation. my wife turned the heat up to 80 one day when we were at work so im guessing that you may have had a simliar issue,.

Interesting - I've done probably 10 batches with US-05, all fermented at 65-70 and I've never got any taste resembling diacetyl. The only difference I see is that I always rehydrated the yeast. Every one started to ferment within 24 hours, and finished in 10 days or so.

I would leave it primary for longer for your best chance of the yeast cleaning it up.

Back