Bad crush from Homebrew store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So after a long long long week I had all day today off for brewing. HORRAY! I got up this morning and went to the LHBS to buy my grain for the IPA recipe. I start crushing the grains (I dont have my own mill) with their grain mill. I notice that the grain is not getting nearly enough crushing, so i ask to adjust the settings. The manager has it fixed and wont let anyone change it. I try telling him that I cant make beer (the way I want) with such a shotty crush. He doesnt feel the same, we cross words, and I end up buying the grain anyway because its the one day I would have to brew and I dont want to order grain online.

Here is the IPA recipe (basic) :

OG - 60
FG - 15
IBU - 55
SRM - 14

10 # 2-row
1 # Crystal 60
.5 # Munich
.25 # Special B

.5 perle @ 60
.5 Columbus @ 60
.5 Perle @ 15
1 Cascade @ 10
.5 Columbus @ 5
.25 tsp Paradise Seed @5
Dry Hop 1 Cascade

WHite Labs Cali Yeast

Mash @ 154

My OG after it was all said and done was 1.042!!!!! (50% efficiency) Needless to say im a little pissed, but I knew it was coming with the crap crush at my LHBS. I guess this means I need to go buy my own Grain Mill now:mad:

How will this affect the beer?

It'll be lighter than you expected, but with an IPA the hops are going to be the dominant taste anyway so you should be fine.

That sucks about the grain mill though. Barley Crusher, here you come!

Buy some Iodine and an eye dropper. Do the starch test. Maybe you can mash longer????

I have had low values that I can't explain.... My only way to address this is to make sure I'm mashin' all the way.

Rye an wheats can goof you up a **** load due to size diffs. My LHBS grinds the whole bill after its mixed so larger/smaller grains are getting crushed about the same.

I don't own a grain mill myself but I do have Lt DME to comp if need be. I normally use it for for starters, but you can comp for low mash extractions whenever it happens!!

If your crush was really that bad, and you think a poor crush at your LHBS was to blame, put your grain through the mill twice next time. You should see a noticeable improvement.

Too bad that your LHBS is so unaccommodating. Sounds like they are trying to get you to buy more grain to compensate for a poor crush. Unscrupulous.

Im for sure going to let them know my feelings, its BS that they dont help out more. I completely forgot about running the grain through twice though. Great idea

Hmm I think it's time to find a new supplier, if they have uncrushed kernels and wouldn't adjust it any. That's just negligent.

Sometimes when I go to AustinHomebrew they forget and crush the grain, I take it home and run it through the BC again just to be sure I get a full extraction. It results in a little more flour but doesn't harm anything.

I think a great number of people (myself included) have had problems with the crush at their LHBS. I would look into getting your own mill, while it won't pay for itself anytime soon it will save you from these kind of headaches.

Back