Bad contamination, what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_bbeto

Reaction score
IPA brew.
All grain.

I guess it's obvious I did not achieve goal of sanitizing. I tasted one at end of 2-week bottle fermentation. It was a bit sweet with slight hop. Good smell and look. A bit cloudy. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431794347.083437.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431794358.940077.jpg

Waited another week, the bottles were in dark place around 70 degrees. Checked last night and found this. I tasted one that did not have these creatures in it, a bit sour, almost like vinegar. Threw it out.

What are these?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431794232.864617.jpg

All nonsense what I wrote

Edit: Just read Day-tripper's post. Fruit fly larvae. I was thinking they were maybe grains that had snuck through the entire process. My bad. Yo gotta get one of those things and see what it is. Does it wriggle?

Further Edit: Sour taste you had already. Gotta read things more carefully. Again sorry. Dump it but get a floaty and see what it is.

lol! As I read your first response I was thinking "Hoo boy, he's yankin' the OP's leg a little hard there"...

Cheers! ;)

Just being an idiot and displaying my lack of knowledge. Thanks for the edu-mi-cation. Not seen that before. Those pics should be in the infection hall of fame. Kind of like tropical disease books with all the bizarre horrible pathogens that can befall us. Nice to point and stare, not so nice to have some larvae burrowing into your brain.

It's only beer so we can laugh. Sorry for your loss OP

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431799843.239570.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431799877.441173.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431799909.221355.jpg

Some more images.
I popped one of the bottles. Plenty of carbonation. Smelled OK (no I didn't taste it). I poured it out and grabbed one of these things. Didn't wiggle.

Looks like larvae. Possibly fruit fly? I had the bottles outside. Then when was ready to bottle I cleaned and sanitized them. I didn't boil

Yeah, looks like fruit fly.

I've seen those when an airlock was underfilled, offering a path of entry for the little buggers. Check the seals on your fermentation vessel.

Under filler airlock... Great suggestion. But that would also mean my dark place is crawling with fruit flies.

yikes... like really...

9rH5via.gif

Back