Bad cidery flavor in lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrCise

Reaction score
Ive done a bunch of brews and lagers. This is my first problem ever :(.
Did a Mexican type lager with 8lbs of 6 row and 3.5lbs of flaked corn with WLP940 . Brewed it early May. After about 6 days of fermenting at 55* and it slowing down, the wort started crazy bubbling, and the smell of rotten eggs was horrible. I did some research, and saw other people had this with the yeast, and was told to just leave it. It ended up stopping after a few days, and fermentation finished. i then did a D rest at 70 degrees for 2 days, then lagered for (maybe too long) 6 weeks at 35*.
I opened it up to bottle last week and gave it a taste, i could barely keep it in my mouth. It tasted pretty bad in an apple cidery way, also had a pretty bad smell.
I've read to just let it bottle condition for awhile and the apple flavor will go away. But the flavor was pretty bad. i literally poured what was in my glass into the sink.
Do you think it got an infection?
I didnt put it in the secondary and lagered on that yeast cake for 6 weeks. Was that too long?
Did I use too much corn? preventing the malt sugar extraction?
Its been in the bottle for a week now, and not sure if its garbage.
thoughts?

True lagering should be off the yeast cake, but I don't know if that would cause the flavor you describe. A cidery flavor may indicate early stage oxygenation. But when would that have happened?
You covered the 3.5 lb of flaked corn with the 8 lb of 6 row, so unless your mash temps and time was completely messed, she should have converted completely. But you would have known that immediately because your OG would have been much lower than expected if your mash was screwed.
I am suspicious of an infection because of how your fermentation progressed. It sounds like it started normally, then something happened. You didn't open it up to take a peek around then right? Take a sample by siphoning with your mouth? Have fruit flies hanging around getting into your airlock?
When you opened to bottle, did it look normal? No strange aliens lurking?
I think all you can do is what you are already doing- bottle it and hope for the best. With luck, the yeasts during your bottle priming will clean up the off-flavor. Good luck!
By the way, welcome to the forum. We do have some wicked smart folks hanging around. Maybe someone else has a definitive answer.

Whoever told you to lager a little longer was thinking of acetaldehyde, which appears as cidery or green apples flavor and is a intermediate compound in alcohol formation, so if present means the beer is too young.
But by your description I tend to think about contamination, specially by aceto bacteria. Most commonly it’s transmitted to beer by fruit flies. In this case lagering won’t work.

Back