Bad Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkidR0we

Reaction score
So, I just thought I would share my experience brewing today, as it wasn't the most succesful.

I've only brewed a few Cooper's kits so far, and an all wort kit, so today I thought I would try an extract kit from a local store, called West Island IPA. It a pre-hopped kit they make themselves, all extract. It weighed 3kg, and had hop pellets floating in it.

The instructions said to bring to a boil mixed with 2-3 liters of water, and to boil 5 minutes in order to pasteurize. Then to throw into fermenter with some cold water and top to 23L. While I did that I steeped some carastan grains it came with.

The problem is, my stock pot is only 1.75 gallons big, so instead of boiling the extract with 2-3 liters of water, I could only put 1.5 liters, and this left me with about 4 inches of headspace.

I slowly brought to boil, expecting a boil over, which eventually came. I took it right off the heat, and tried to spray it with some one-step I had in a spray bottle as a last ditch effort, but to no avail. It boiled over and made a mess. I turned down the heat, waited a bit longer, and put it back on the heat. It boiled over again. And then again. I almost threw the whole thing out in frustration. I tried one more time, and for some reason, it decided NOT to boil over, and I managed to boil it for 5 minutes. Suffice it to say, my ceramic stove top is a mess.

I poured it into my fermenter, and poured some ice cold water I had prepared, and topped off to 22L ( a liter less as I lost some wort to the boil over ). I checked the temp, and it was at 89f! I quickly prepared a swamp cooler, and within an hour it dropped to about 82, so I pitched my yeast ( s-05). I know its not ideal, but I didn't want to wait too long.

Oh did I mention I forgot to check the OG?

So ya, Just wanted to share. Hopefully it will turn out OK. Its a west coast style IPA, so hopefully the bitterness and hoppyness will hide any off flavors.

Any tips for avoiding boilover? I'm shopping for a big stock pot, but I've heard of ferm caps, do those work well?

Thanks for reading!

All is within reason, keep the temperature under control, preferably in the mid sixties. Get another kit and a BIGGER pot and get it started!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Aluminum stock pots are inexpensive, and work great. I really like a pot double the size of my largest expected batch.

Part of it may be the hops in the extract, they give a great place for bubbles to form. I usually boil my wort for 15 min, then add hops, minimizes boilovers.

A new and larger pot for sure. Breathe, it'll be okay I think. It's aggervating I'm sure. I've had a bad brew day resulting in a complete dumper so I feel your pain.

I keep a small spray bottle on hand with water so I can spray down the wort the second that hot break occurs and the wort rises up. It helps but I have to be super fast.

Latest posts

Back