Bad Belly Burn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I was carrying a pot of mash out/sparge water I had pre-heated on the kitchen stove out the back door when I stumbled. 180*F water splashed onto my sizable belly. My t-shirt did a fantastic job of holding the heat on me.

Now, I have a spread-fingered hand size burn on my belly, with a couple of blisters. Ow.

Luckily, my Pils is fine and boiling with the heatstick. I am self medicating with 8% Weisenbock and Cherry Wheat, with a frozen 2 liter bottle on my sore belly.

So, let's be careful out there!

:rockin:

Burns of any kind are really awful and usually quite painful. I've had a few minor burns over the years and have learned to take extra care when working with hot liquids. Elevated HLT's and kettles are particularly hazardous. There's always the possibility of something spilling or splashing hot water or wort. The hose connections can leak or suddenly come apart without warning. Murphy's law prevails in these situations! We're moving near boiling liquids, often heating with an open flame burner, sometimes have the equipment elevated and we typically use a lot of home made equipment. What could possibly go wrong?

I was brewing with a buddy of mine when he caught himself on fire. Yea that's how things go when you wear those polyester workout pants while stirring the boiling wort. Make sure you don't get too close to your turkey fryer. He was able to pat it out but it stuck to his skin and gave him some nasty burns. Thanks to Smuttynose Big A IIPA he didn't feel to much.

yeah, i learned not to wear sandals or shorts when carrying my brew pot from the garage to the basement for chilling after the boil.

Hope it gets better quick, Cpt Kirks. Burns have a way of lingering a long time and keeping you from getting a good night's sleep. Try some vitamin E cream. Baby diaper rash cream is really good too.

Everyone should have an aloe plant. They are wicked easy to grow and nothing helps a burn like a bit of alow fresh from the plant. I dumped boiling water onto my elbow and within a week it was gone without a mark. All thanks to aloe.

This is the single biggest reason that I went to a two tier with pump.

Ive learnt to avoid wearing slippers while carrying my brew pot from garage. Moreover, we need to take precaution that don't get too close to your turkey fryer. Try some Vitamin E cream. Its gonna work

For my 1,000th post, I present, an update:

The beer is resting comfortably. It is a nice, AG Pils. The temp in the ferm chiller is a balmy 52*F, and the airlock is bubbling steadily. So, all is well.

Wait, my burn?

There is a 4x6" red spot. About 20% of it is yellow-filled blister. As long as I don't touch it, it doesn't hurt too bad.

SWMBO was carrying hot grease outside (the pan was smoking up the house) last year. She fell and got a hot grease bath. Because of that, we have a lot of burn medication in the house. I hit the burn with some aloe based gel that made it quit burning on contact.

:rockin:

Try to keep what's left of the skin on it for as long as you can. It seems to help, and I'm told it reduces any scarring.

Man, I am gonna get an apron before my next brew day after all this talk.... Maybe a manly printing press operator type.

Back