Bad Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayBeer

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale with Centennial as Bittering and Denali as Aroma. The beer turned out terrible and the worst part is I made it twice with terrible results both times. The first time I kegged it after 8 days, and thought I didn't allow the yeast enough time to clean up. The second time it still tastes terrible, and I made sure to ferment for 14 days. Should I dry hop it, or would that be a waste of hops? It is technically good beer. No Diacetyl or other off flavors, but it still tastes bad.

Please describe " terrible " and " bad ". Also " No Diacetyl or other off flavors " suggests the beer is fine.

Maybe you do not like Denali hops. I personally like them a lot. Maybe the Centennial for the bittering? How is the beer bad, although fully fermented?

It just tastes bad. I don't taste any diacetyl or any aceteldehyde, but other than those two I can't taste other off flavors. The first time I made it, I dumped it because it tasted under feremented and young. This time it still tastes young and its been in the keg for nearly a month. I'm just curious if dryhopping would help or hurt.

Ok I just read up on some common off flavors, and I taste Banana. So its a fermentation temperature problem. Would dryhopping cover the esters up a bit?

Banana usually comes from Belgian and Hefe yeast at higher fermentation temperatures.

If you used a regular " clean American " yeast, you should not taste banana, even when fermenting at 68-70F.

Denali hops are very potent and along the citrus and pine notes, it also imparts tropical fruit notes, which might be something you are picking up.

If you indeed fermented warm and it resulted in banana flavours, dry hopping might cover it up, but for 5 gallons, you should use at least 7-8 oz, if you want to cover the " esters ", if possible.

It just tastes bad. I don't taste any diacetyl or any aceteldehyde, but other than those two I can't taste other off flavors. The first time I made it, I dumped it because it tasted under feremented and young. This time it still tastes young and its been in the keg for nearly a month. I'm just curious if dryhopping would help or hurt.

How long did you leave the keg warm? Enough time to let the beer mature a bit or did you chill it right away? Many beers need a period where they are kept at room temp to mature.

Back