Bad Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I just wanted to see how many people have ever made an undrinkable batch of homebrew.

I have made 8 batches now and none have never been undrinkable or bad (knock on wood).

So my question is has anyone ever (or will admit) made bad beer? If so, what was it (kit, AG, etc) and when in your brewing history (newbie, brewmaster).

I ask because I think a lot of people are turned off by the misconceptions and misinformation about homebrewing. I almost didn't get into it because I was afraid it was too hard. You have to clean everything, sanitize everything, don't let oxygen get into your beer but you have to aerate, yeast starters vs. non, primary, secondary, bottling, bottle conditioning, aging, kegging, etc.....

Two bad batches, neither was horrid. First was a raspberry-maple ale that taught me the value of temperature control (fusel alcohol), plus there were some other issues in terms of how I split this batch up. Second was a mocha stout that simply had too much crap going on. SWMBO likes it, I hate it. Lesson learned; stick to making beer, and get some experience before trying to develop your own recipes.

Lessons learned.

Back