Bad Beer Dream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
:off: I'm over it.

I am bottling my first 2 batches tomorrow, and had the most
horrific dream last night.

Upon taking the lids off my ale pales, they both contained a vile-smelling, bubbling green sludge with bugs crawling out. Absolutely horrible.

All I've thought about all day is how many things could have gone wrong to contaminate my beer, and how dissapointing it would be if they were that bad.

I'm 22 and that is the first nightmare I've had in 10 years.

Well, I'm bottling tonight.

I'm racking one onto some malto-dextrine and letting it settle for a
couple (6?) hours and then bottling.

The other, an Apple Cream ale, I plan on moving onto my counter-top and letting it settle also before bottling.

Sound like an alright procedure?

And also, just to be sure, how much priming sugar should I use?

Ha

For a five gallon batch, go with about 5 oz. of priming sugar.

As far as settling, its really not too necessary, especially for 6 hours.

Won't the processing of moving the beer onto a counter shake things up quite a bit?

It will a little bit, but not to the point of having to wait six hours to clear it up.

I think (hope) most people will agree that the generally accepted process to bottle is to put your secondary carboy/bucket/whathaveyou up on the counter/table/high place.

Then boil your priming sugar and add it to the bottling bucket. Let it cool for a few then rack into it.

Raise that one back onto the counter/table/fridge/friend and/or SWMBO's shoulder and and begin bottling.

So, I bottled both of my batches, and they looked and smelled wonderful.

Took a little sip after the hydrometer reading, and they tasted great as well!The Apple Cream Ale had a really nice soft apple taste.
Also, threw together my first batch of Apfelwein!

Thanks all for the help, this forum rocks.

:mug:

Back