Bad Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Just got done racking my porter; if you want to call it a porter. Tasted like bitter, sour, plastic. I'd dump it out of the secondary right now but I'm too pissed off. I'll just drink instead. I think I stretched my luck with saved yeast. Grrrrrrrrrr. :mad:

Believe it was 3rd generation and about 1 month old. The starter was sluggish and I suspect this is why. I've gone 3 generation before but I think I'm going to stick with one saved slurry generation deep then call it good enough (which would get me 3 more batches). Could be something else but I think this is it.

3 is the most I have ever done also. I usually stick to 2 because I'll do a small beer and then a large beer, after that the yeast is stressed anyways.

It sucks to lose a beer, it may not have been the yeast though so make sure you replace your hoses and sanitize everything extremely well next time. I haven't lost a batch in 10 years *knock on wood*

Its my 1st official rancid batch out of probably 40. I'm not 100% sold on the yeast doing this either. I am going to replace my hoses just in case as you mentioned monster. Try and brew without a hangover this Sat as well :cross:.

A run of bad luck lately. Not very satisfied with my SNPA clone, the apricot wheat isn't contaminated, just not good. American Wit isn't what I expected but others like it. Brewing my porter & IPA next was supposed to get me happy with the output again since I've made these at least 5 times and have always been great brews. Feel like Dude when he was having a bad run about 6 months ago.

Well I'm about as happy as a vacationer in Lebanon. I made another porter toot-sweet because of this previous batch gone bad. When I kegged it last week I took a taste test and although not bad, it seemed to have that similar taste/smell of something not quite right just like the last one I had to dump. Figured it was paranoia. Now that it's carbed and ready, it tastes like **** again! Not as bad as the last time when the gag reflex was going while racking it but WTF!!! It's still undrinkable currently. I've made this beer 6 times prior and everyone claims it to be my best brew now 2x in a row it's swill.

Odd thing is it tasted ok at the primary. New yeast, new hoses. I even racked my IPA onto the slurry. I'm drinking that currently and it's great. I have one thing that has changed in my process. My 1/2 bbl keggle. It's made 5 batches thus far in it and only the porters... can't be.

I'm at a friggen loss unless there could actually be something wrong with one of the grains (this is an AG) from the HBS? Anyone ever hear of that before??!?! Couldn't imagine with mash/boil. Fermented at 68. :mad: :confused: :( :mad:.

I'm officially getting bummed out now. Lucky it's hot now and Porters aren't exactly my bev of choice when its 100+.
!@#!!@#!@#@!#

That makes no sense. 5 batches in the keggle and i'm assuming 2 of them were the porters that went south? What were the other 3? The SNPA clone, the apricot and the American Wit?

All lighter beers compared to the porter?

I dunno man, just spitballin'. :drunk:

Ize

Ize said:
That makes no sense. 5 batches in the keggle and i'm assuming 2 of them were the porters that went south? What were the other 3? The SNPA clone, the apricot and the American Wit?

All lighter beers compared to the porter?

Ize

IPA, Dude's LWPA and the apricot wheat were the other 3. Two are in secondary's but I can tell through past brewing & tasting there doing great. Time (and kegging) will guarantee this to be fact though.

Dunno either.

Back