Bad Aroma, Awesome Taste Fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I brewed my pumpkin ale this year and used 100% real canned pumpkin and also threw in a can of pumpkin pie mix. Big mistake. I don't care what others say, don't do it. I threw it in the boil and after 10 days of fermentation, I had what looked like a pumpkin pie on top of the beer and it smelled awful. Must be the added ingredients in the mix.

I ended up kegging the beer and adding tinctures in vodka of ginger, nutmeg, fresh vanilla beans and a little cinnamon. It's a bigger beer 1.072 and it finished at 1.018 which is where I wanted it. I was going for significant body.

So here's the deal. The beer has a bad aroma, but an AWESOME taste. I'm an experienced brewer and anal as possible about sanitation and temp control. This aroma is from the pie mix; I'm convinced of that. If it didn't taste so good, I would just dump it because the aroma is bad. It's vegetal and almost DMS like which could be from cooked compounds in the mix? I did a 90 minute boil anyway.

Any suggestions on how to improve aroma in the keg without adding more spice to the flavor?? I know this probably isn't possible but looking for ideas. I know I could dry hop it to try and help, but that would be a weird mix of big hop aroma and pumpkin pie flavor.

Suggestions?

Apart from pinching your nose or dry-hopping, I don't really see anything. At least the corn/vegetal taste didn't carry over to the taste...

Apart from pinching your nose or dry-hopping, I don't really see anything. At least the corn/vegetal taste didn't carry over to the taste...

Yea exactly, which is weird to me that the nose and taste can be so vastly different. I'm trying to imagine a big hop aroma with pumpkin taste. Doesn't sound so good but a cheap experiment before resorting to drain pour.:drunk:

clothespin%20on%20nose.jpg

:mug:

Mals

Sixpoint is doing a pumpkin beer with wet hops. Here's your chance to find out what it might be like before it gets released!

I've only used pumpkin in the mash(not the pie mix), and it had a pumpkin flavor but not vegetal. From what i gathered on the net the pie mix is only pumpkin, spices, and sugar (not anything that I havent thrown in a beer already). You could be getting the vegetal flavor from boiling the actual pumpkin, but I don't know for sure.

Back