bacteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

timmiller

Reaction score
have a stainless conical and have thrown out 5 straight batrches of beer. done everything I can think of. There is a white residue on the inside of the conical that I have to really dig at to clean. any ideas for help?

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Do you have hard water? Is this more like a mineral deposit?

IF it is a bacterial growth layer, it will slimey, smelly, oozing, or all of the above.

Please describe what makes you think it is bacteria.

cklages

Reaction score
This does sound more like minerals than bacteria. Perhaps your water is too hard to make good beer? You could try a batch with store bought water and see if that helps.

The one thing that I did want to throw out there is that barkeeper's friend works wonders with stainless steel. It made my brew kettle sparkle like new with very little elbow grease.

OP
T

timmiller

Reaction score
the brew is quite sharp, bitter , you spit it out immediately when you taste it because it is so bad. The head on the beer dissipates quickly when you pour it also. I have well water and have tried store bought water with the same result. I changed everything but my conical which has had 10 batches of beer through it. the white oxidation on the kettle was in the pattern in which i wiped the kettle when cleaning. I have a two step cleaning process with the conical, take it all apart and clean then sanitize, then before I brew I will do it again and let the sanitizer stay in the conical for an hour. I was thinking that the oxidation might keep any bacteria in the stainless. tahanks for the queries.