Bacteria in my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MeinBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Made a Moose Drool clone and after 2 days it started to look like the picture below although this picture is after 5 days fermentation. None of the other beers I've made have looked like this. Is bacteria to blame? Thanks for the help!

image-3394301866.jpg

OP
M

MeinBrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. No funny smells, the stuff on top just looks really thick, almost gooey.

JLem

Reaction score
Looks like a healthy fermentation to me. What yeast did you use?

OP
M

MeinBrew

Reaction score
WLP001 California ale yeast. Thanks for the reassurance. Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks! This is also the first time I've used a thermostat on my fermentation fridge. Holding at a solid 68 degrees.

OP
M

MeinBrew

Reaction score
Just realized that this was the first brew that I added Irish moss to. Thinking that is the.reason for the coagulation.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
could be. Looks like a lot of the other fermentation pictures I've seen on here.

OP
M

MeinBrew

Reaction score
Update

Kegged this yesterday and it tastes awesome. Can't wait to see how it develops over the next few weeks. Thanks for the help wveryone

Dan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is part of the reason I brew in buckets. I stick with sound sanitation and don't have to see how ugly fermentation gets. 2-3 weeks in the bucket I'll give it a gravity check to see if its ready.