Bacteria Cleanup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the cleanup/sanitation when dealing with bugs/brett and standard yeast in the same area. I have about 5-7 gallons of sour/wild/bacteria beers fermenting in my basement for about a year. In that time period I have had a batch of Dunkelweisse that had zero flavor, kind of seemed like something took over and ruined it, totally drinkable though, and a few starters that had a green apple like smell to them, I went ahead and used a few of the starters and noticed no issues. Last night a storm came through and the heavy rains finally made it into my basement, and when then they did, they pooled around a carboy (my only one not off the floor; since I was set to bottle in the next few days, ugh) and it fell onto it's side. The carboy did not pop the airlock, but did leak some, and of course it was a Flanders spiked with ECY Bug Country. I saved the beer and shop vac'ed up the mess, but now I am concerned that if I did not have an infection issue before, I do now. What should I do to clean this up and get rid of any chance of contamination? I also ferment my "clean" beers in this basement.

You do realize that bacteria and yeast are everywhere in your basement right? With that said clean it however you'd normally clean. The difference here is the possible concentration of the bacteria/yeast is much higher because it came from somewhere with a higher than the ambient environment cell counts. If you cannot properly clean things and sanitize then sure it'll be an issue. I ferment my non-sour beers in the same fermentors as my sours in the same closet as my sours. I've spilled a little beer here and there and the closet it carpeted so there's no cleaning that 100%.

So clean it like you would any kind of somewhat sticky mess and move on.

Back