Quantcast

Bacon Vodka

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
13,304
Reaction score
160
Location
Phoenix
http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2008/01/20/homemade-bacon-vodka/

Bacon Vodka

makes up one pint
Fry up three strips of bacon.
Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps. Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.
Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. That’s right- I didn’t refrigerate it.
At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.
Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.
I think that I might try to do this, but I would consider scaling up and maybe use cheap vodka and several passes of a carbon filter.
 

david_42

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
25,583
Reaction score
179
Location
Oak Grove
I wouldn't use a carbon filter, it will strip out too much of the bacon flavor. Normally with vodka that's a good thing. Maybe filter the vodka first?
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
I made up a batch of this two weeks ago - it's got one more week of conditioning to go. At the moment it looks pretty disgusting, with tiny globules of fat floating around in it, but once it's filtered I'm hoping it'll be presentable.
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
I'm filtering my bacon vodka as I write this - it's pretty slow going. The stuff above the filter looks disgusting; the filtered vodka is clear as a bell, and has a pale yellow tint. No idea how it'll taste, but I'll post when the filtering is done.
 

jzal8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2007
Messages
357
Reaction score
0
Location
NJ
Danek said:
I'm filtering my bacon vodka as I write this - it's pretty slow going. The stuff above the filter looks disgusting; the filtered vodka is clear as a bell, and has a pale yellow tint. No idea how it'll taste, but I'll post when the filtering is done.
Awesome...I'll be waiting.
 

blacklab

Banned
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
2,379
Reaction score
52
Location
Portland, ME
Will you use a bacon bag for your bacon additions? I imagine the protein break will be substantial.
 

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Messages
4,628
Reaction score
62
Location
Corrales, New Mexico
I have always wanted to make a meat meed, just because I like the name. I settled for a beet meed instead. Don't they call liquid meat "blood"?
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
It's filtered, and bottled, and I have a shot glass of it here...

Oh. Sweet baby Jesus. I'm finding it hard to describe how foul-tasting this is. I'm not sure if this is exactly the right description. But it's as if someone very ill had pissed into a bottle of salt.

I can't feel my legs.
 
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
5,904
Reaction score
59
Location
Eastern Colorado
Danek said:
It's filtered, and bottled, and I have a shot glass of it here...

Oh. Sweet baby Jesus. I'm finding it hard to describe how foul-tasting this is. I'm not sure if this is exactly the right description. But it's as if someone very ill had pissed into a bottle of salt.

I can't feel my legs.
Did you really need to try this to figure out what the result would be? Maybe my highschool principal was right...maybe too much drinking really does kill brain cells.:drunk:
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
BigKahuna said:
Did you really need to try this to figure out what the result would be? Maybe my highschool principal was right...maybe too much drinking really does kill brain cells.:drunk:
But the internet said it would be nice! I can't believe the internet would lie about something this important! ;)

I'm going to try it in a bloody mary. If that's no good, then finding an alcoholic dog will be the only way to go.
 

Shaggy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
251
Reaction score
0
Location
South Side Chicagoland
Oh man...I was so pulling for this to be good.
One day I will attempt a bacon beer...theres got to be a way to end up with good result!

:)
 
OP
olllllo
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
13,304
Reaction score
160
Location
Phoenix
What kind of Vodka did you use Danek?

I'll have to give this the ol' college try as I have some meat related projects going on.
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
olllllo said:
What kind of Vodka did you use Danek?

I'll have to give this the ol' college try as I have some meat related projects going on.
I used Smirnoff. And the bacon was local organic happy-pig bacon. The two ingredients on their own are pretty good, but I guess it's not a very happy marriage.

I'll bring it on my brother's stag do this weekend and see what other people make of it. Because if drunken pre-wedding bachelor antics don't go well with bacon vodka, then I don't know what will.
 

JustDave

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
1,078
Reaction score
17
Location
Mass.
Have you tried putting the vodka in the freezer before doing a shot?

I like vodka, but I prefer it chilled ....
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
BlindLemonLars said:
This is giving me second thoughts about the blood sausage vodka I was planning. :drunk:
:D

I was just planning some blood sausage. Haven't made that in a while :D
 

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
3,377
Reaction score
230
Location
State College
zoebisch01 said:
:D

I was just planning some blood sausage. Haven't made that in a while :D
If you want help with that let me know! I'm a fan and would like to try my hand at that style sometime. Do you make one where the blood is the bulk of the sausage, or one with maybe some pork, rice (or other filler) and blood. The Portuguese make a nice version of the later.
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
pjj2ba said:
If you want help with that let me know! I'm a fan and would like to try my hand at that style sometime. Do you make one where the blood is the bulk of the sausage, or one with maybe some pork, rice (or other filler) and blood. The Portuguese make a nice version of the later.
The last time I did the blood mainly, but I have been thinking of making a firm type one the next time. Morcilla, yeah with the rice...mebbe.
 

Danek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
17
Location
Sheffield, UK
Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Anyone make puke vodka? I have a feeling it would taste very similar to bacon vodka.
Funny you mention it. I very nearly made puke vodka mere moments after trying the bacon vodka. The way I see it, the two are on a very short continuum.
 
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
7,733
Reaction score
74
Location
Nanaimo, BC
I was going to suggest one eat some bacon, drink half a bottle of vodka then puking into a glass.

The resulting concoction should be the same as making bacon vodka, but in much less time.

Yes this the above is an Evil Concoction, but Denny has never made it.
 
Top