Bacon Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the recipe, they are using cherrywood smoked malt, and BACON extract at flame-out. Could be interesting, I'd try it.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 2 oz English Chocolate Malt
- 6 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
- 10 oz Caramunich III
- 12 oz Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt
FERMENTABLES
- 3 lbs Amber DME
- 1 lb Wheat DME
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup (15 min late addition)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Willamette (60 min)
- 30 mL Bacon Extract (Flame out)

I'd worry more about the smoked malt than the bacon. I used 8 oz of that in a brown I made. It was like drinking a campfire -terrible.

I'd worry more about the smoked malt than the bacon. I used 8 oz of that in a brown I made. It was like drinking a campfire -terrible.

I'm not a fan of any of the smoked beers I have tried

Rogue's Doughnut is the only bacon beer I have tasted and it was not good. The first sip was interesting, but finishing the whole bomber was a challenge

It was SO smoky. I finished it, but I'm glad I wasn't the one that paid the $13 (I think) for it. No way I'm even going to try the Chocolate, peanut butter, & banana ale. :barf:

Yuck on both counts. I'll take my bacon crisp and on the side. I like the taste of porterhouse too, but I wouldn't want the flavor floating in my beer.

I just got the same email. Makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I'd rather drink a Corona (blurp).

I'd try it. Not sure about the smoked malt, but the bacon extract would scare me more. I'm particular about my bacon and I'd bet it would taste artificial. I'd like to try brewing a bacon porter or something like that down the road myself.

As to the Bacon. Could be great!

As to the smoke. I made one that used 1 pound Oak Smoked Wheat Malt and .1 pound Peat Smoked Malt. It was based on John Palmers "Elevenses" It was one of the BEST beers I have tasted, my own or commercial.

It was SO smoky. I finished it, but I'm glad I wasn't the one that paid the $13 (I think) for it. No way I'm even going to try the Chocolate, peanut butter, & banana ale. :barf:

I couldn't get a hold of the Rogues Maple syrup Bacon doughnut beer, but I did enjoy the hell out of the Chocolate PB and banana beer! Fantastic and everyone at the beer tasting enjoyed it.

I made a bacon stout before, did not like how I did it (added bacon fat to "secondary" cold crashed to skim all the fat off) didn't like the results. Going to work on it in a one gallon size soon.

I got the same message. I wanted to piece it together at my LHBS but they don't have the cherrywood malt. I could order the malt separate but it will cost $10 for a pound including shipping. Not sure if I want to spend over $50 for the kit including shipping.

I got the same message. I wanted to piece it together at my LHBS but they don't have the cherrywood malt. I could order the malt separate but it will cost $10 for a pound including shipping. Not sure if I want to spend over $50 for the kit including shipping.

Agreed. I'm very curious about this beer, but $55 for a kit is a little steep. I'm currently drinking Smokey The Beer from Midwest, so I'll decide once that's finished. Don't want two smokey type beers at the same time.

I like smoked beers but I didnt like Rogues Donut beer really at all-not that its a smoked beer, hopefully it would be better than that. I like the grain bill in the recipe posted though sounds interesting. People sometimes describe smoke malt as bacon anyway so it seems to me the extract would get drowned out if not drank fairly young, and that may be a good thing depending how that bacon extract turns out in overall flavor.

I like smoked beers but I didnt like Rogues Donut beer really at all, hopefully it would be better than that.

I'm pretty sure if you didn't like the bacon beer after drinking 5 gallons NB would be more than willing to refund your money :smack:

I just bottled this today... my samples didn't really have much of a bacon flavor?

Not sure if I trust "bacon extract" -- it's probably fine, but I'd worry about getting an artificial/chemical flavor.

If I wanted to put bacon flavor in a beer, I'd consider doing a fat-washed spirit addition. You can get flavor from a fat into a spirit by emulsifying the two and then separating them -- mix bacon fat thoroughly into vodka (or bourbon!), place in fridge, scrape off fat when it's solidified on top. Result should have lots of bacon fat flavor but no fat left in it, so should be safe to dump in beer.

I just bottled this today... my samples didn't really have much of a bacon flavor?

Not sure if I trust "bacon extract" -- it's probably fine, but I'd worry about getting an artificial/chemical flavor.

If I wanted to put bacon flavor in a beer, I'd consider doing a fat-washed spirit addition. You can get flavor from a fat into a spirit by emulsifying the two and then separating them -- mix bacon fat thoroughly into vodka (or bourbon!), place in fridge, scrape off fat when it's solidified on top. Result should have lots of bacon fat flavor but no fat left in it, so should be safe to dump in beer.

I used that method since I couldn't find "bacon extract". I cooked about a pound of bacon and infused it into vodka. My beer doesn't have the bacon flavor though. It's still in primary, maybe after carbonating some of those flavors will come out. I can tell you the bacon infused vodka would be amazing in bloody Mary's.

A local micro brewery, Six Row, made a bacon porter for craft brew week in St. Louis a couple of years ago. They did not use any smoked malt. They had a local butcher smoke some bacon and then render all of the fat out of it. They put it in secondary and let it sit for 3 weeks.

Results, not bad, not great. They only made 15 gallons and one of the owners told me that it was insanely expensive with how much bacon they had to use to get the smoke flavor from it. It tasty smoky, but not like bacon.

I love a smoked beer and was excited to make this when I saw it in the NB catalog.

Then I found this thread and saw that it involved bacon extract and said nah. I'll go look for the Smoke Bomb recipe now.

Listermann in Cincinnati makes a beer they call Friar Bacon. It's a smoked bock that I find to be quite delicious. They just use smoked grain, no bacon extract, it tastes pretty close to bacon. It (plus the fact that I can't ferment a lager) is the reason I developed the best beer I probably ever made, which is my Smoked Porter.

was at Northern Brewer in Milwaukee today. they had a free beer and chocolate pairing event and one of the beer samples was the Bacon Smoked Red Ale. it is actually really good. a little bit of a bacon taste but not over powering. the smell is amazing with the smoky-ness and color is a really deep red/amber.
i picked up the kit and plan on making it tomorrow but thinking of adding some maple syrup. not sure if i should add it in the boil or in fermenter though. any suggestings? i did find this link http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1398

Made the NB smoked bacon red ale kit last week ...the overbearing smell of smoked wood and bacon really overwhelmed my senses I'm hoping with time the smokiness deteriorates ....it was really too much to process I would recommend half the extract no more maybe less

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

While I like bacon as much as the next guy, it's kind of inexplicable how the internet has raised bacon to an almost god-like status. This summarizes my feelings on bacon well:

bacon4.jpg

I love bacon with eggs some mornings... but in beer? No thanks... Okay, well, I'd try it, but I wouldn't brew it myself.

Agreed. The Rogue bacon maple wasn't very good, the chocolate peanut butter wasn't much better...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Has anyone actually brewed the Northern Brewer Bacon Red Ale? I ordered the kit, both the box and the instructions say there is to be 1 lb of Wheat DME and 3lbs of Amber DME. In the box, there was only 1lb of each. So did they screw the instructions and box inventory, or not send me enough Amber DME?

Has anyone actually brewed the Northern Brewer Bacon Red Ale? I ordered the kit, both the box and the instructions say there is to be 1 lb of Wheat DME and 3lbs of Amber DME. In the box, there was only 1lb of each. So did they screw the instructions and box inventory, or not send me enough Amber DME?

Best to call them..

Back