Backyard fire pit thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastAndy

Reaction score
Lets see em.

image-2216944295.jpg

The road department was putting in new man holes on our street. My wife convinced them to leave one of the steel rings for us. Flipped over it makes a great fire pit. The steel plates came from an old railroad bed. Have to scavenge more to finish it up.

:D

pit.jpg

Those are some tiny fire pits. :D Lucky for me swmbo is a bit of a pyro, you can't see our pit right now because of all the stuff waiting to get burned. She likes to put caulking tubes in the fire as a nice surprise.

Here's mine.

012_zps410f73f6.jpg

We have an attached deck on our house that it used to be sitting on. Decided to build a floating deck because our two dogs keep killing our grass and I was tired of seeing mud and dirt so we incorporated the fire pit in the deck. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! :mug:

wood deck, wicker furniture, open fire w/ sparks . . .

hmmmm . . . guessin' the fire marshal hasn't seen that? :cross:

Here's mine. I've only used it once so far to test it. My future brother in law surprised me with it last week. If you can't tell, it says /srv/brew (the name of my "brewery") and has a beer bottle on each side.

2013-05-19 19.59.33.jpg

2013-05-19 20.06.05.jpg

hmmmm . . . guessin' the fire marshal hasn't seen that? :cross:

Why would the fire marshal have reason to see it? Its easily 2 feet deep and it's built with landscape bricks that are a foot wide and 8 inches thick. It's a lot safer than setting any regular fire pit on a deck if you ask me...
noidea.gif

Here's another angle to give some perspective on the depth of it:

013_zpse5c2ef6b.jpg

reverendj1 said:
Here's mine. I've only used it once so far to test it. My future brother in law surprised me with it last week. If you can't tell, it says /srv/brew (the name of my "brewery") and has a beer bottle on each side.

That's a really nice surprise!

That's a really nice surprise!

I know, right? It was totally out of the blue. He had overheard my wife and I discuss getting one, I guess and his neighbor has a small business making them. They made it out of scrap, so it is a little on the small side, but it works great for me.

Oh nice thread! I can't find any pics right now but nothing beats a nice bonfire, whether you're cooking supper or just sitting around having a few drinks with friends. My favorite thing to fry over a bonfire is farmer sausage on a stick with a bit of seasoning salt.

hungry4hops said:
heres mine getting ready to use it tonight!

Looks like a great spot! We had a nice fire last night but I neglected to take any photos.

Here is my fire pit. I like it better when it's blowtorching flames 10 feet high out the top. But it is too warm out now.

ForumRunner_20130615_175721.jpg

Well, FWIW, I live in the city and I don't do firepits, but lots of people do. The problem is the rules and regulations. I have heard that firepits are only allowed for cooking and not 'just because'. I have heard that if you keep a pack of hotdogs handy the Fire Dept. will be OK. Just an anecdote, but I always think of those fire pits when I'm at Home Depot or Lowe's, and that pack of hotdogs laying handy.

I wish I had pictures of the ones my friends have. A lot of people that live along the pipeline in AK grabbed short sections that were trimmed off when the pipeline was built. Makes for a cool fire pit. Another person I know found a large kettle that was used somewhere to roast goats for a couple hundred years. He filled it with fire glass and ran natural gas up through it. Makes for a cool fire in the summer months.

Back