Backyard Brewery Build (years in the making)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callagp7552

Reaction score
We've been brewing for the better part of 10 years now and have perused through lots of HBT threads. Many an idea or answer was gleamed from here along with a lot of trial and error.

We've also take lots of photos along the way but I've held off on posting them as our progress has been slow and I've had more than one build thread leave me hanging for far too long. Most of the photos I've added some description to as well.

Our rig and brewery are just about complete (sure there will always be something to improve upon) but I feel we are close enough now it's worth sharing. The brewery started out as a detached 16x20 garage. We didn't even eye it for brewing until we were using my attached garage in the winter and I noticed some moisture issues.

There are 2 google albums that divide (though some overlap) between the inside and outside portions of the build.

Inside is here
Outside is here

I'm not going to claim anything we did was inventive, but I'm also happy to help out a fellow brewer. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask, if I don't know I'll be the first to tell you.

Nicely done! So are you using the rope lights as your only source of lighting? I like how you installed them and then have the white paneling on the ceiling to help reflect the light back into the space too.

:mug:

Nicely done! So are you using the rope lights as your only source of lighting? I like how you installed them and then have the white paneling on the ceiling to help reflect the light back into the space too.

:mug:
Yeah, we really didn't want florescent lighting and with the open trusses our options were a tad limited. This let the lighting be indirect and evenly spread. We have it wired such that we can shut off half of the strips (alternating trusses) at a time and the strip in the vent hood is on its own switch as well. The 5630 LEDs were the brightest reasonably priced strips we could find. I installed a light meter app on my phone when installing the white ceiling boards and compared it to my office where I bask in bountiful florescent lighting. The meter showed it was as bight as my office and subjectively I'd say agree with it. On my short to-do list is to re-install the 2 LED puck lights over the sink, though we really don't need them at this point given how bright it is.

I just stumbled on your post now. I also brew in a detached building, but I haven’t finished the project yet really.

I’m curious about your water and drain lines. Did you just run them to/from the house?

Cool space! How’s it working out?

Back