Backsweeting still cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
I'm going to do a 1 gallon batch of cider that will be still, so no carbonation.
When fermentation is done, could I just transfer it to a new 1 gall jar and stove top pasteurize it, then backsweet and bottle (or drink) ?

If you backsweeten, bottle, then pasteurize immediately your result will be the same but with less risk of oxidation.

I have a back sweetening question too... can you back sweeten with apple concentrate that has preservatives if fermentation is done?

If you don't want to bother with pasteurizing, what I would do is to wait until the cider is completely clear and then rack onto some sorbate/campden mix. The "dosage" is 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water. Rack into that, let it sit a few days and then sweeten to taste. Let it sit a few more days, and then bottle.

The sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, so fermentation can't restart. That's how winemakers, cidermakers, and meadmakers make sweetened wines, ciders and meads, without subjecting it to boiling/pasteurizing.

If you don't want to bother with pasteurizing, what I would do is to wait until the cider is completely clear and then rack onto some sorbate/campden mix. The "dosage" is 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water. Rack into that, let it sit a few days and then sweeten to taste. Let it sit a few more days, and then bottle.

The sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, so fermentation can't restart. That's how winemakers, cidermakers, and meadmakers make sweetened wines, ciders and meads, without subjecting it to boiling/pasteurizing.

I know that, but I thought I could avoid chemicals.

whats wrong with pasteurizing in a big pot, un-bottled, then adding sugar? it should dissolve nicely. then bottle the finished product. I'm considering doing just that with half of a carboy of beautifully clear apple cider I now have.

I'd say that the only thing 'wrong' is that you are fermenting apple juice,not cider. Cider is not cooked, no way no how. Plus the fact that true cider is and should be custom blended by experts or at least by individuals as dedicated as by what you see on this site. I'm not trying to bust your seeds but that is the way it is. Of course I could be wrong, my experience with apples only goes back 5 decades. I 4 king love cider!

krackin said:
I'd say that the only thing 'wrong' is that you are fermenting apple juice,not cider. Cider is not cooked, no way no how. Plus the fact that true cider is and should be custom blended by experts or at least by individuals as dedicated as by what you see on this site. I'm not trying to bust your seeds but that is the way it is. Of course I could be wrong, my experience with apples only goes back 5 decades. I 4 king love cider!

I guess I never had and probably never will make cider then. From now on I'll call my product non-blended alcoholic apple juice.

What is that about?
Either if I call it a Cider or an Alchoolic apple-pear juice, it doesn't change anything to my question.

Back