Quantcast

Backsweeting Cider

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TLProulx

Reaction score
During the month of october, I started a cider. When racking to secondary for aging, I tasted my cider and it tasted like apple (good!) but watery (bad). I used low acidity freshly pressed apple juice. The juice wasn't for cider making but drinking. I think it was made with Mcintosh, cortland and spartan apple.

Anyway, I think that if I backsweeten the cider with honey (Costco?) or any plain tasting sugar it will improve the taste.
I do not wish to use sulfite or other chemical unless absolutly necessary.

Could I let all the yeast die (time) so that the ciber doesn't carb? The cider is around 7ABV last time I checked.
Or maybe if I use lactose or any unfermentable sugar could that do the trick?

Thanks

HappyCider

Reaction score
If you don't want to use chemical inactivation of the yeast you could pasteurize instead. Otherwise you'll just restart fermentation by adding fermentable sugars and end up with a dry cider again later or potentially bottle bombs if you're bottling it. See the sticky on pasteurization for more info on how to do it.

Using un-fermentables is my preferred method because it just seems like less of a hassle than pasteurization. I haven't used lactose but have had good success with sucralose (splenda) and stevia (some don't like the taste of this). I've also added maltodextrin to overcome a watery mouthfeel. It adds body and some head retention without adding sweetness if you want a dry cider.