Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclesteve76

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm set to make 55 gallons of cider this week. I'm looking to back sweeten the cider (this is my first time back sweetenting) when fermentation is complete with 3 gallons of concentrated Apple juice. I am aiming for a 6.9 ABV. If I cold crash the yeast when the cider is at my desired 6.9, will the back sweetenting affect the ABV? When do I take the FG reading? Before or after back sweetenting?

Take the FG before back sweetening or it will raise the reading. After you back sweeten you will need to kill the yeast or they will continue to work turning the recent addition of sugar into alcohol

Take the FG before back sweetening or it will raise the reading. After you back sweeten you will need to kill the yeast or they will continue to work turning the recent addition of sugar into alcohol

What additives will kill the yeast btw?

In addition to cold crashing, I also use a mixture of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (campden tablets).

A sweet, still cider, no problem. A fizzy dry cider, no problem. A sweet fizzy cider, prepared to be challenged.

Back