Backsweetening Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so last night I bottled a nice 70 bottles worth of sweet meade.... and I decided to go take some gravity readings. I have 3 more batches that ate at 1 ish. is it better to age them for a couple more months then sweeten then bottle, or sweeten them now, then age, then bottle?

Travel_mon

Reaction score
I too am following this thread, and am curious when is the best time to backsweeten. I'd also like to throw in a quick question for back sweeting ratios, how much additional honey to how much additional water do you add per 1 gal of meade?

OP
claphamsa

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
for me.... I never add more water, and I kill yeasteis (ive found hitting it with the wine whip kills them. so I toss in my chemicals, and then stir away!) then add some honey, wait a week then taste :)

Travel_mon

Reaction score
How much additional honey, as a ball park, do you add per gallon of meade?

Then with your original question, I too am curious if it's best to just sweeten it up in the carboy, let that sit for a bit, then bottle?

I do have some Potassium sorbate to add as well. I am thinking I'll add the PS wait a day or two then add the additional honey, wait a week or so, then bottle. Thoughts?

I hope I didn't hijack your original thread to much. Thanks for the info.