Backsweetening hot sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moinkyschmoink

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the title says! What do you guys use for sweeteners when the sauce is done fermenting?
I just made my first two batches of hot sauce and I dig it, but would love to hit the balance better on sweet n salty.

Just like the title says! What do you guys use for sweeteners when the sauce is done fermenting?
I just made my first two batches of hot sauce and I dig it, but would love to hit the balance better on sweet n salty.
Fruit can make it sweeter, but you need to beware of the fruit sugars restarting fermentation. I once made a mango-orange habanero sauce - I blended in the fruits after fermenting the peppers and then bottled the sauce. The oldest bottle was carbonated and slightly alcoholic when I opened it! I guess that you could try pasteurizing or using chemical stabilizers (sorbate, metabisulfite) to work around this issue.

I would add a little sugar, just when you are about to eat it, so it doesn't ferment again (plus you keep a less sweet version for people that don't like sweet).
Alternatively, some non fermentable sugar like sorbitol

Back