Backsweet & Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Kaos

Reaction score
Just want to be sure I have this info processed correctly.

I want to backsweeten and bottle carbonate my next batch.
If I have read everything correctly I can use apple concentrate to accomplish both tasks at the same time.

Do I have this right?

Any particular do's or don'ts using this method.

Is there a specific type of concentrate I should use?

Any tips would be great.....

I'm usually the one spouting off about concentrate so I guess I'll answer. I use one can of Juicy Juicy concentrate. The kind that is a soda looking can but I don't think it matters much. The cans I use have a bit over 5 oz of sugar according to the nutrition label. It's more than I use for beer but so far it's worked well and I like lots of bubbles. Whichever brand you use, add up the sugar amount and adjust accordingly to your amount of cider.

Just so you know, it doesn't add a ton of "sugar" sweetness. It's more of an apple sweetness taste.

I pour the concentrate into the bottling bucket as I'm siphoning and give it an gentle stir (you don't want to aerate, just mix). Then I bottle up and cap as normal. Cider seems to carb up a little faster than beer but I leave it at room temp for 3 or 4 weeks before moving it to the basement. I've done it with three batches. It's been 3 - 4 months aging and no bottle bombs so I guess the technique works.

Just so you know, it doesn't add a ton of "sugar" sweetness. It's more of an apple sweetness taste.

Thanks for all the great info.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want it to be sugary sweet. Just a good apple bite. The commercial stuff is a little to sweet for me.

Back