Backing into parking spaces rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
You should NOT back into a parking space if any of the following apply:

• You cannot successfully back in on the first attempt
  • You are holding up traffic
  • You are attempting said back in in a parking garage
  • Said parking garage is the main parking facility for Middle Tennessee's largest employer
  • It is morning rush hour
  • You are on a cell phone

The driver in front of me this morning went 6/6!! Winner!

I hate using this word "retarded," but it's called for in this situation...

A town near me, for a short while, was MANDATING backing into parking spaces, at an angle, RIGHT OFF THE FREAKIN' ROTARY that's in the middle of downtown. The way the spaces were angled, the only way you could get into them (assuming you were going in the proper direction, was to back into them. Cripes, people have enough trouble with the reverse gear without traffic freakin' bearing down with them.

Backing into spaces isn't nearly as elusive to the general public as parallel parking skills. And most times, the way that they pull up to begin the process tells you whether they know what they're doing or not. It's really very sad watching people try 3 or 4 times and still not get it.

rohanski said:
I work with a guy that can back in blind folded with a 3/4 ton Ford quicker that you can pull in straight.

That man is the exception, not the rule.

I wish I knew what the appeal was to backing into parking spaces. Most people cannot pull into parking spaces forward without riding the line or over the line into the next spot.

That is why I park as far from other people as possible (when in a parking lot).

I always back into parking spaces, but I drive a pickup truck too.

The reasoning behind it is that you have greater visibility backing into a parking space than out of it. Anyone who's tried backing out of a parking space in a busy parking lot, or has tried to back out from between two gigantic SUV's or mini-vans knows what I'm talking about.

Flyin' Lion said:
...That is why I park as far from other people as possible (when in a parking lot).
Ditto.

It takes a certain type of guy to back into a parking space. That guy is the one who backs into spaces in public parks.

I've heard of companies forcing employees to back in for security reasons: if there's an evacuation you can get out quickly.

bradsul said:
The reasoning behind it is that you have greater visibility backing into a parking space than out of it. Anyone who's tried backing out of a parking space in a busy parking lot, or has tried to back out from between two gigantic SUV's or mini-vans knows what I'm talking about.
ten fo
I have a full size 3/4" long bed and it's much easier to back in tight spaces.

bradsul said:
I always back into parking spaces, but I drive a pickup truck too.

Ditto.

^^^^ Yep.

Not to mention the fact that the maneuverability of large trucks is much greater in 'Race' (that's what the 'R' stands for BTW, not reverse, duh...)

I completely understand backing in in those circumstances, but what gets me is the person who has to do it up near an entrance where everyone is walking. For that matter, if someone were to park far enough away, they could just pull through to the next spot and accomplish the same thing (at least around here).

Dodge 3500 dually, always park it ass first. I can get into tighter spots, and better yet I can pull out of tighter sports. If you don't like waiting for me, post about it. :D

I'm making it clear that I have no issue with the general concept of backing into spaces.

I'm stating that if you're inept at it, don't attempt it.

A friend I work with does it in the same garage at the same time in the morning, but he can do it quicker than most people pull in straight. That's fine by me.

PseudoChef said:
I'm making it clear that I have no issue with the general concept of backing into spaces.

I'm stating that if you're inept at it, don't attempt it.

A friend I work with does it in the same garage at the same time in the morning, but he can do it quicker than most people pull in straight. That's fine by me.

To the same point: I have no issues withe people buying large rigs. I have a problem with people who buy vehicles that are clearly beyond that person's driving skill set, which I think is at the heart of the matter of the OP.

One silver lining from the housing bust is that soon all those Real Estate a-holes will have to turn in their leases on H2s.

Ever see someone park one of those in a parking structure in a spot marked COMPACT?

The Pol said:
Was the driver in thise scenario a woman?

:mad:
Hey now. That's just not nice. I can out drive most of my male counterparts in my 6-speed manual transmission 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 (with the long wheel base).

:) Oh, and i agree with all the other p/u drivers when they say it's easier to back in than back out of tight spaces.

I heard from a repo guy that most of the cars/trucks he finds in the public are backed into parking spots to make it harder for the tow truck. It doesn't stop him from hooking on, dragging it out, and hooking it up. It is very loud though, lol.

wortmonger said:
I heard from a repo guy that most of the cars/trucks he finds in the public are backed into parking spots to make it harder for the tow truck. It doesn't stop him from hooking on, dragging it out, and hooking it up. It is very loud though, lol.
Make your car payment.

olllllo said:
To the same point: I have no issues withe people buying large rigs. I have a problem with people who buy vehicles that are clearly beyond that person's driving skill set, which I think is at the heart of the matter of the OP.

One silver lining from the housing bust is that soon all those Real Estate a-holes will have to turn in their leases on H2s.

Ever see someone park one of those in a parking structure in a spot marked COMPACT?

Heh I have no use for a pick up, let alone a dually. I just really enjoy being the biggest vehicle on the road, next to commercial stuff. The handling is amazing also, for regular driving...

I park quick and accurate, but I feel you guys.. It's not just parking though, there is all sorts of ineptness on the road.

rohanski said:
Make your car payment.

Amen, and while your at it (those everyone is really speaking to) don't get insurance just to get your tag then drop it right afterwords. You bastards (them) are making all our insurance go up, and you should go to jail for a very long time.

Well here in MA the insurance company sends a letter to the RMV and your registration is suspended.
Not that I'm saying our insurance system is better, it's F'ed. And the polititions are trying to make it worse.

With most cars being front wheel drive now any way, I don't think backing in is better, that's of course assuming it's not a flat bed.

Oh, and try backing a windowless work van, with the tiny 06 ford mirrors, out of those tight parking spots.

Latest posts

Back