Back to brewing and also winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunklesWeissbier

Reaction score
Between buying a boat and getting married two years ago I haven't had much free time for brewing. :( I finally have some free time and got tired of looking at my empty taps. So threw a nut brown ale in the fermenter.:) Hopefully I can do a few more batches and fill all my kegs before boating season starts.

I also got up the nerve finally to try wine. Picked up a 7.9 gallon fermenter, 6 gallon carboy, a wine wand and a Zinfandel/Shiraz kit from Winexpert.
I'm hoping I didn't already screw it up. It says to let it sit in the primary for 5-7 days. I was a bit busy and it sat for almost 14 days before I racked it into the carboy. SG was 1.090 and I measured 0.998 when I racked it so I think I'm good there. My concern is that it sat on the oak for so long that is may have picked up more oak flavor than intended.

It is not quite at the FG of 0.996 the instructions call for so I still plan to let it sit for 10 days before degassing and clarifying.

So I guess my question is did I screw it up by letting sit in primary for so long?

Youre fine:) the timeline in the instructions can be loosly followed with no ill effect. Some times the longer you wait the better. Now that you have racked it once you can take months between steps. The longer it ages the more mellow the oak flavor will be. So if it is too oaky for you just hurry up and wait.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Thanks.
Everything I've read so far says that the longer you wait the better the wine will be. This wine thing may work out well for a procrastinator like me. :)

Thanks.
Everything I've read so far says that the longer you wait the better the wine will be. This wine thing may work out well for a procrastinator like me. :)
Mead making, here, but, yeah same idea.....great for this easily distracted procrastinator as well :) Now that I have several batches in various stages, the wait isn't so bad...

Back