Back Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I created a dark cherry melomel in June, 2020. I racked August 12, 2020, to a glass carboy. It didn't clear as fast as I thought it would, so, I left it in the dark, waiting.

It has been busy for me, over these months and, I just pulled my carboy out for filtering and bottling. I sampled it. At 18 months old, it is acidic on the nose and palate. The cherry flavor is there, but, it has reached its dryest at about 16% ABV. I wish to back sweeten without chemicals, if possible, using my local wildflower honey that I used to make it.

I have a 3 micron filtration system. If this might help in my process, let me know!

I hope my investment can be recovered. Help me?

That long and you should have a tight yeast cake at the bottom and it's clear now correct? Just rack the clear off the yeast cake without disturbing it and then you can backsweeten. Once you do I would wait a few more weeks to make sure gravity doesn't change and restart but at 16% that might be asking alot of what yeast might remain.

I would sweeten to your target SG / taste with your wildflower honey.

Immediately bottle and pasteurize.

Even if your mead is very clear there still may be yeast remaining. Yes you can sweeten and bottle without doing anything else but you are taking some risk in doing so.

Note:
A 3 micron filter will not remove all the yeast if any remain. You need to get down to 0.45.

If you're like me and want sweetened mead, there are several ways to do it, but most have drawbacks or risks. I've been brewing meads and ciders for a couple years now and still haven't found a foolproof way to completely deactivate the yeast for safe backsweetening.

1. You can cold crash and/or let sit for a long time after primary fermentation. MOST (emphasis on "most") of the yeast will drop to the bottom. Carefully racking off the lees will give you product that doesn't have much yeast left in it. But if there's even one live yeast cell left, it can start eating the new sugar and eventually multiply and grow exponentially. Cold crashing and racking is not 100% effective at removing all of the yeast.

2. You can ferment until the yeast can't ferment any more. Most yeasts have an alcohol tolerance from about 12% to 18% ABV. If your ABV is above that, the yeast may still be there but they can't do anything because they're essentially too drunk to eat more sugar. The strategy here is to add enough honey/sugar in primary fermentation so there's still some left when it's done. Then you can add more sugar and not have a risk of fermentation restarting. The problem is that yeast can't read. So even if the manufacturer like Lalvin says a particular yeast has a tolerance of 14%, they might stop below or above this number. And this won't work if you want a finished brew below the yeast's ABV tolerance.

3. You can add potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (Campden tablets are a specific format of this chemical) after racking and before back sweetening. Sorbate doesn't kill yeast but will prevent it from multiplying. Couple this with cold crashing or sitting (to get rid of most of the yeast) and the sorbate should prevent any significant refermentation after back sweetening. Eventually the few yeast cells remaining after racking will die on their own without reproducing. This is a very common method to sweeten ciders and other brews with a desired ABV well below the yeast tolerance. But even this isn't foolproof. I've had brews restart even after the use of sorbate, and I don't know why. There is some information I've found that says potassium sorbate has a shelf life of a year or less, so old sorbate may not be effective.

4. You can pasteurize. Heat kills yeast. There are LOTS of different suggestions on the forums and YouTube for how to pasteurize. Some heat and hold, perhaps using a sous vide immersion circulator in a large water batch. Some suggest boiling water in a pot, removing from the heat, and adding bottles of brew to the hot water. In any case, you need at least 140F IN THE BOTTLE, not just in the pot. Higher temperatures require less time to kill the yeast. At 140F, you might want 15 minutes. At 165F it's more like 2 minutes. At 180F it's more like 10 seconds. Pasteurization of open bottles risks boiling off some of the alcohol, especially at higher temperatures. Pasteurization of sealed bottles carries some risk of exploding bottles because the pressure in the bottle will jump up during the heating, especially with carbonated beverages. All pasteurization risks changing flavors of your brews, with higher temperatures more likely to do so. And pasteurization of a product with pectin (like ciders or other fruit beverages) can create a gelatinous substance in what was once perfectly clear product.

5. You can filter to remove the yeast cells. But this takes a fine filter, which risks filtering out some flavor components. Certainly you wouldn't want to filter a hazy brew or your filter will clog immediately.

On another note, try adding some dried cherries to your cherry melomel once you have stabilized it using one of the above methods. I use about a half to full pound per gallon and let sit for 2 weeks. It will add a little bit of sweetness, though you'll likely still need some honey. But it really boosts the cherry flavor and provides more mouthfeel.

Brian

Paragraph 3 above is your best method. Even this is not totally without the possibility of one stubborn lone ranger yeast cell from surviving, but it has worked for me for many years. If you are dead set on not using any chemicals, oh well. Take your chances with one of the other methods listed. In order to adjust sweetness risk of restarting fermentation exist. Weigh your options.

Option 2 is pretty reliable as well, but can be unpredictable as to the final ABV. But once you've exceeded the yeast's tolerance, fermentation should stop. Of course, adding your sweetener dilutes the alcohol content slightly, so that may permit some fermentation to happen again until tolerance is once again reached.

But I agree that option 3 (sorbate) should be the right path. I stopped in at my LHBS today and asked them if sorbate expired or would lose effectiveness. Two different employees agreed it will, and should be used within a year. We all agreed that it is odd that packages of sorbate don't have best-if-used-by dates if that's true. They say they write the purchase date on the package when they get some to help them remember when to replace it. I'm pretty sure my sorbate is older than a year since I bought a pound of it rather than an ounce at a time, and it was a while ago. I currently have 3 brews that have restarted fermentation despite (old) sorbate. I got fresh stuff and will try adding new sorbate to see if it works.

Pharqart - I am researching Forum input on Back Sweetening my Vikings Blood, and found this older post. I really like the idea of using dried tart cherries, and plan on adding some to my 5 gal batch when done fermenting to dry from 1.126 OG. Then K-Meta and Sorbate treatment. You recommend 1/2 to 1 lb per gallon, and then a little honey. I don't want TOO sweet however. So using a on line mead calculator from another website, and knowing the cherries are sweet at ~75% sugar by volume, if I shoot for a SG of 1.015 (semi sweet) it calls for 2lb and 3-1/2 oz or so. BUT - adding any honey just kicks it sweeter. If I do this am I on the right track, and maybe start with this amount and add to taste from there?

Hesster: While there is sugar in the dried cherries, and it might add to the gravity of the final brew, it might not make it taste much sweeter. I used dried tart Montmorency cherries from Costco. And while my brewing notes don't have a record of how much the gravity changed by soaking on the cherries, my sense is that they impart enough tart flavor to offset any sweetness from the cherries' sugar.

Probably the easiest way to get the sweetness you want is to wait to add honey to backsweeten until after soaking the dried cherries. In other words:
1. Ferment until gravity stops dropping. Starting at 1.126 you may or may not get to 1.000 depending on your yeast.
2. Rack off the lees.
3. Degas as much as possible. Otherwise you'll see airlock activity later and not be able to tell if fermentation has restarted because you've added more sugar, or if it's just dissolved CO2 from the original fermentation escaping.
4. Add K-meta and sorbate to stabilize. I usually wait at least 24 hours after this step before adding any sugar or fruit.
5. Add 1/2lb to 1lb per gallon of dried tart cherries. Don't add honey yet.
6. Let the cherries soak for 2 weeks.
7. Rack off the dried cherries. At this point, they will have rehydrated!
8. Add honey to sweeten to taste. 2.2lb of honey in 5 gallons should get you about a 0.015 rise in gravity as you expected. Maybe start at 1.75lb, mix well, and taste. Then add more honey 3oz at a time until you like the sweetness. (I usually dissolve my backsweetening honey in a little boiling water to help it mix into the batch more easily.) I'd go more by how it tastes to you than absolute gravity reading. I've had 0.996 fermented mango nectar still seem sweet, and some 1.125 spiced mead seem far less sweet than the gravity would indicate.

Appreciate the input! My yeast will get the batch to 1.000 or under within a week. Will add the costco dried cherries (I have 60 oz) and will use 2 lbs +, soak for a few weeks, then take a SG and adjust as required? Best to finesse my way to taste? What about acid and oak adjustment if any?

"finesse my way to taste" is exactly right. Add a little honey, mix well, taste. Repeat until it's where you want. Trust your taste buds more than the hydrometer reading. I don't add acid to my cherry melomels, as I get enough tart from the dried cherries. All acid does is add tart bite. I add it when I make a cherry apple cider to give it a little bite and character, but that's not a flavor I like in meads. Oaking is entirely up to you. I've done some oaking and liked it, and some oaking and hated it, depending on the recipe. Even the type of oak you use makes a huge difference. I did a side by side test using medium toast French oak and medium toast American oak. Believe it or not, there was a flavor difference. The French oak added a vanilla/marshmallow flavor (this was a basic mead). The American oak was more woody flavored, with only a little vanilla. Change the toast level and the flavors will be different again.

When I don't know if I'll like something like oak, I'll take a batch of something and split it into multiple jars, then do different things to each. Split a gallon batch into four quart Mason jars. Oak one of them. Add acid to one. Add acid and oak to one. Leave the fourth alone as a control. Wait 2 weeks and do a taste test. Then you'll know what to do for the bigger batch in the future.

Really appreciate your advice. I am hoping for a really good batch, and do not want to ruin it.

I just racked my cherry melomel off the dried (and now rehydrated) cherries. I took a gravity reading afterward, something I apparently hadn't done on the finished product when I've made it before. Here are the stats:

1.022 gravity after back sweetening, but before addition of dried cherries. (I like my stuff sweet!)
1.045 gravity after 2 weeks of soaking on the dried cherries. (Which doesn't taste nearly as cloyingly sweet as it sounds, probably because of the tartness of the dried cherries that add sugar but also acid/sour. And it might not all be sugar adding to the gravity.)
3-1/2 lb of dried cherries in about 4 gallons of liquid.

Doing the math, that says that I got about 0.026 gravity rise per pound of cherries in 1 gallon of product.

So if you have 5 gallons of product in your batch and soak on 1lb of dried cherries, you'd expect a 0.026/5 = 0.005 gravity rise. Two pounds of cherries would double that to 0.011, which is close to your desired final 1.015 target.

Which validates the recommendation to soak for two weeks on the cherries (about 2 to 2-1/2 pounds in 5 gallons), then add honey to reach desired sweetness to taste.

I don't know a thing about melomel, but I recently slightly backsweetened a cherry Flanders Red with just a bit of erythritol -- just enough to pull back the cherry flavor lost due to the dryness of the year-old beer caused by the presence of brett. It's non-fermentable, so it enabled me to bottle condition the beer. It's a sugar alcohol and very natural tasting at low levels. At higher levels, it still tastes natural, but can have a cooling effect on the palate.

That said, if your melomel will be uncarbonated, that opens up other options for backsweetening with conventional sugars. You just need to ensure that the yeast and bacteria are no longer able to ferment out the backsweetener. This is common in cidermaking. @Pharquart has outlined that process thoroughly.

Last edited:
A little confused -
"I just racked my cherry melomel off the dried (and now rehydrated) cherries. 1.022 gravity after back sweetening, but before addition of dried cherries."
Did you back sweeten multiple times?
My 5 gal batch is slowly working it's way to 1.000, and yesterday during the stir it was at 1.005, with still a little visible yeast action. I've read don't rush it and rack too early. That being said, I like your empirical data on the gravity rise with the given additions. Using the "Got Mead" calculator, I have plugged in various scenarios to back sweeten to 1.015 or 1.020 using either a mix of Costco Dried Tart Cherries, 15 oz canned Tart Cherries, and or 15 oz canned Sweet Cherries. Both the Tart Costco dried Tart, and canned Sweet cherries are high in sugar at ~75%, where as the canned Tart Cherries are much less @ ~8%. So I calculated (1) can of Sweet Cherries + (1) 20 oz bag of dried Tart Cherries + 14 oz more of the dried Tart Cherries would yield 1.015. So that is pretty much aligned with your recommendations of "2 to 2-1/2 lbs". Quite frankly, the 1.015 target is just the standard recommendation for "medium sweet", where 1.012 - 1.020 is "Sweet", and anything over that is "Desert". I have no clue if 1.015 is my real target, and would sweeten more from that point I guess. Also, your point of the acidity of the TART cherries contributes to the perceived sweetness. So - "you can always add more, but can't take it out once added". Lots to consider.

Back