Back sweetening with Raspberry Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cburke

Reaction score
Hello,

Been awhile since I posted on here and wanted some advice before trying something new. I've been pretty happy over the last few years with my creations, but hey, let's experiment!

Anyways, I generally ferment dry and then after letting settle in secondary, bottle and use priming sugar tablets to help carbonate. I was thinking for at least a few gallons of a batch of cider I have in secondary right now of adding raspberry juice concentrate or raspberry powder concentrate instead of priming sugar to add a little different flavor as well as help carbonate. I just want to check my math about how much to add so I don't create bottle bombs. Generally 1oz/30g of primary sugar is fine for each gallon of cider. So if I was to add enough raspberry concentrate to equal 30g of sugar per gallon, would I create the same amount of carbonation? Not sure if it would have the same effect or not. Just don't want them to explode a few weeks later.

Thank you for all the help,

Colin

Yep - Sugar is sugar. If you add 30g per gallon regardless of the sugar you should be OK. I have used FAJC, did the math and it turned out fine. I would think frozen raspberry juice concentrate would be similar.

I've used berry concentrate to sweeten cider wth very good effect. Added it slowly until I got to 1.010 SG.
26439978826_92761e813c_c.jpg

As Maylar suggests, work on SG change rather than try to calculate sugar when adding juice etc. The rough "rule of thumb" seems to be one gravity point fermented results in 0.5 volumes of CO2. i.e for 2.5 volumes, add enough concentrate or juice to increase the SG by 0.005 then let it ferment back to where you started. It works for me.

Back