Back sweeten with juice concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishPimple

Reaction score
I've read in numerous threads that sweetening in secondary with an apple/cherry concentrate can work well.

If anybody can help me - my question to piece together my final steps before bottling is whether any additional steps need to be taken? I've already added the correct amounts of potassium sorbate and campden to prevent additional fermentation after adding the concentrate. Just add and wait? Suggestions for how long before bottling?

Also, is it impossible to carbonate after this step?

First timer trying to put together the pieces - it's been a lot of fun so far but I could use some tips from folks who have done this before.

I also have a second 5 gallon batch still finishing up fermentation - if I've already messed up any chances of carbonation by adding potassium sorbate and campden tabs for the sweetening process in my first batch, are there any suggestions for (1) sweetening with (2) a slight carbonation with the second batch?

Thanks in advance if anybody has pointers!

After adding the sorbate and campden, you need to wait for a day or two, before adding the juice.

You can force carbonate if you keg, but you can't bottle carbonate/condition after stopping the yeast with sorbate and campden.

For your next batch, if you want to bottle carbonate, I'd suggest looking at two options:

- backsweeten with a non-fermentable (www.makinghardcider.com) or

- stove-top pastuerizing (sticky thread at the top of the cider subforum)

This is very helpful - thanks!

I've consulted the makinghardcider.com site quite a bit - very helpful as well. She suggests adding 1/8 tsp of yeast to the carboy if the original yeast goes dormant due to cold, time, etc. Is this something I could try to bottle carb the 1st batch? I don't have the equipment to force carb/keg.

I think I'm going to try bottle conditioning per the sticky with the second batch.

Thanks again!

After adding the sorbate and campden, you need to wait for a day or two, before adding the juice.

You can force carbonate if you keg, but you can't bottle carbonate/condition after stopping the yeast with sorbate and campden.

For your next batch, if you want to bottle carbonate, I'd suggest looking at two options:

- backsweeten with a non-fermentable (www.makinghardcider.com) or

- stove-top pastuerizing (sticky thread at the top of the cider subforum)

This is very helpful - thanks!

I've consulted the makinghardcider.com site quite a bit - very helpful as well. She suggests adding 1/8 tsp of yeast to the carboy if the original yeast goes dormant due to cold, time, etc. Is this something I could try to bottle carb the 1st batch? I don't have the equipment to force carb/keg.

I think I'm going to try bottle conditioning per the sticky with the second batch.

Thanks again!

If you add new yeast to the carboy, you can bottle condition, but if you backsweeten with juice or juice concentrate as you are planning, the new yeast will eat all of it up until its dry again (and you'll likely get bottle bombs). You see the conundrum?

Back