Back from Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
... and I need a few days to dry out. Man I drank alot of beer.

I drank a lot of Guiness, which I thought I didnt like, but turns out I do... well at least fresh guinness, havent tried it back home yet.

Also had a bunch of Murphys Stout. Pretty similar to Guiness.

A bunch of smithwicks.

A couple of wrasslers Stout at Porterhouse. This was good, but I think I prefer guiness better, this was a little too bitter for my liking.

A heiniken at the killarny race track. If your in Killarny and the track is open go there the track is stunning, with the mountain backdrop.

A Bulmers cider.

I was at one pub in dublin cant rember where, but as I was sucking down a few pints of murphy's, a bunch of younger kids with irish accents came up an orders some pints, all BUD ICE, this bar had a full selection and they chose that over some really great beer. The bartender said that was pretty common.

I was at one pub in dublin cant rember where, but as I was sucking down a few pints of murphy's, a bunch of younger kids with irish accents came up an orders some pints, all BUD ICE, this bar had a full selection and they chose that over some really great beer. The bartender said that was pretty common.

such is the power of advertising. The good news is that kids eventually grow up. ;)

I was surprised when I went there that Bud was the American beer you find on tap just about everywhere, and that locals drink it. After I thought about it a bit though, it's not surprising at all, after all it is the King of Beers. :p

It doesn't really surprise me that you loved the stouts over there when you'd thought you didn't like them when you tried them here in the states. I know from my experience traveling and drinking local beers when abroad, they taste SO much better than the exact beer that's been imported to us here in the states. I think it's just like you said, it's fresh. I've had Heineken and Amstel in the Netherlands that taste nothing like they do here. I know they're massed produced lagers, but Heineken is pretty freaking delicious over there.

It doesn't really surprise me that you loved the stouts over there when you'd thought you didn't like them when you tried them here in the states. I know from my experience traveling and drinking local beers when abroad, they taste SO much better than the exact beer that's been imported to us here in the states. I think it's just like you said, it's fresh. I've had Heineken and Amstel in the Netherlands that taste nothing like they do here. I know they're massed produced lagers, but Heineken is pretty freaking delicious over there.

Even Stella is OK as a pub pint in Europe. Still much better than the stuff we get here, anyway.

And it goes without saying the best guiness I had was at the Guiness storehouse. Hard to beat a pint of it with the view you get at the gravity bar.

While I agree there is something to the local water and possibly even different recipes for each region, don't underestimate the power that the experience can have over your perception of the beer. That sounds like a great trip... I hope to make it to Ireland one day.

I drank a lot of Guiness, which I thought I didnt like, but turns out I do... well at least fresh guinness, havent tried it back home yet.

I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am) but I was under the impression that the Guinness available in North America is the Export version whereas the UK version is more mild.

Did you by chance try their black lager? Guinness is test marketing a new black lager in Irelend but not in the states. I've considered buying one online but shipping sux :(

I often drink Smithwicks when out at my favy watering hole, they have it on tap. I do want to point out that the Smithwicks (and I believe Guinness but not sure on that) that is exported to the states is different than what is sold in Ireland.

It is a different recipe, with different ABV% it is also different than the Smithwicks that is exported to Europe! So, in essence there are 3 different Smithwicks!

It is on my bucket list to have one of each in their respective countries...only 2 more to try across the pond...

Another thing about Guiness being different there than here, is that in NA it is contract brewed by Labatts.

I'm going to Ireland next year for my honeymoon. Any good breweries over there that give tours?

I often drink Smithwicks when out at my favy watering hole, they have it on tap. I do want to point out that the Smithwicks (and I believe Guinness but not sure on that) that is exported to the states is different than what is sold in Ireland.

It is a different recipe, with different ABV% it is also different than the Smithwicks that is exported to Europe! So, in essence there are 3 different Smithwicks!

It is on my bucket list to have one of each in their respective countries...only 2 more to try across the pond...

Im pretty sure I read this also. Supposably the stuff there is has less alchohol. It was really good there, but did taste different, similar, but with less aftertaste. ... to be sure I might have to go back for more research.

The commercial beers in Ireland tend to be brewed with a lower ABV% because of the high tax on alcohol. I think Ireland has one of the highest alcohol taxes in Europe.

I've been to Ireland and all over the UK many times. Austria, Belgium too.

Anyway, their beer does not taste anything like the beer that is imported to America. I'd like to think it was do to freshness, but I suspect it has more to do with travel on ships, handling, temperature, etc.

Some will say they only export the bad stuff from the brewery but I don't believe that.

I've been to Ireland and all over the UK many times. Austria, Belgium too.

Anyway, their beer does not taste anything like the beer that is imported to America. I'd like to think it was do to freshness, but I suspect it has more to do with travel on ships, handling, temperature, etc.

Some will say they only export the bad stuff from the brewery but I don't believe that.

I agree 100% . I've said this many times before too. I don't think it's the shipping process. I think it is what happens stateside. Beer in the US is a commodity just the same as paper clips or thumb tacks and gets treated just the same. Sadly, even by the beer distributors.

I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am) but I was under the impression that the Guinness available in North America is the Export version whereas the UK version is more mild.

The export style is not sold in the states. It is commonly sold in Africa and the caribbean. Which is higher in ABV.:D

Didn't hunt down any Beamish? Better question do they even sell Beamish here anymore?

Yep, had one the other day at a restuarant here, I was on the beer list, when I order it wiatress didnt have a clue on what I was talking about, she said she;d work there for a year and I was the first to order it from her. Guess its not that ppopular, great beer though.

I was sitting in an Irish bar in Omaha, Ne (Dubliner Pub in the Old Market Dist.) one of my favorites. It was during the week so it wasn't crowded at all. In walks a group of guys, maybe five or six of them (with Irish accents), guess what every single one of them ordered. If you said Guinness you are WRONG. It was Coors Light. My friend and I look at each other in disbelief.

So the next day I jump on the internet and decide I need to find out why these guys from Ireland would order Coors Light. Turns out it is one of the more popular beers in Ireland

This article states "Additionally, sales of Coors Light have doubled in Ireland over the past five years, and 1 out of every 4 bottles sold in Dublin pubs is a Coors Light." http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/08122008/30/link-f-cnw-coors-light-launches-sweden.html

I was shocked to think that with all the great beers in Ireland and UK that this statistic would be true????

I was sitting in an Irish bar in Omaha, Ne (Dubliner Pub in the Old Market Dist.) one of my favorites. It was during the week so it wasn't crowded at all. In walks a group of guys, maybe five or six of them (with Irish accents), guess what every single one of them ordered. If you said Guinness you are WRONG. It was Coors Light. My friend and I look at each other in disbelief.

So the next day I jump on the internet and decide I need to find out why these guys from Ireland would order Coors Light. Turns out it is one of the more popular beers in Ireland

This article states "Additionally, sales of Coors Light have doubled in Ireland over the past five years, and 1 out of every 4 bottles sold in Dublin pubs is a Coors Light." http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/08122008/30/link-f-cnw-coors-light-launches-sweden.html

I was shocked to think that with all the great beers in Ireland and UK that this statistic would be true????

We did see coors light on tap in a few places, but I didnt see any takers.
My rule is that if most people wont drink it off a cart at a golf course, im not ordering it while in another country.

There are so many things at play here.
1) Some Americans have a skewed view of BMC beers due to their business practices
2) The grass is always greener on the other side
3) Cost
4) Unequal distribution of intelligence
5) Discomfort with ordering anything unfamiliar
6) Kids these days

Similar in Germany, where the menus read "Neue! Miller!". To them
they are exotic imports and somewhat faddish.

FWIW, my experience of Guiness in Ireland was that it tasted exactly
like the canned version with the widget here. Both the canned
and draft Smithwick's was much less carbonated than the US version
(same situation with Bass over here and there) and served at a pretty
high temp, which brought out the diacetyl and bitterness. It was great
that way I thought.

Ray

I was in a very small town in central Ireland and Coors light was on tap in the smallish pubs. Yes, odd.

Didn't hunt down any Beamish? Better question do they even sell Beamish here anymore?

Ah, finally someone mentioned a good irish stout. ;)

Unfortunately, beamish was bought out by Heineken and they are now producing it along side murphy's. I was told some time ago that beamish will become a second tier product compared to murphy's and will no longer be distributed in the U.S (or have a very small distribution), as murphys battles for a share of the european stout market. I lived a stone's throw from the beamish brewery (in cork) for two years, and spent a lot of afternoons talking to the brewers and drinking in the taphouse. man i hate heineken!

Unfortunately, beamish was bought out by Heineken and they are now producing it along side murphy's. I was told some time ago that beamish will become a second tier product compared to murphy's and will no longer be distributed in the U.S (or have a very small distribution), as murphys battles for a share of the european stout market. I lived a stone's throw from the beamish brewery (in cork) for two years, and spent a lot of afternoons talking to the brewers and drinking in the taphouse. man i hate heineken!

That's horrible. Last year I had an afternoon of sucking down beamish while SWMBO went shopping in Orlando. Now it explains why I couldn't get it when I went back this year.

When I visited Ireland, the locals said they drank bud because its basically the only lager they have available. You would think they would go to Germany for a lager. Probably has something to do with costs.

When I visited Ireland, the locals said they drank bud because its basically the only lager they have available. You would think they would go to Germany for a lager. Probably has something to do with costs.

Does Guinness not make Harp lager? (Nasty stuff)

I was in Drogheda and Dublin a couple months back and all the pubs served Heineken and Carlsberg alongside the typical Irish beers; both lagers. But yeah, the place is also lousy with Bud.

The latest craze in Europe is super cold beer (the ones I saw were of a Heineken variety), served from a tap kept below freezing temps. If you really have to numb your taste buds to enjoy your beer, maybe you should switch to something else.

That sounds right. I forgot why but our distributors couldn't get it anymore.

Guinness got me in to good beer, but it's essentially a light beer/stout. Tastes watered down now. Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish all tasted the same to me. I hear the micro/brewpub scene is starting to get going better over there. That's good to hear. I really don't care for the typical mass produced stuff. I hear Porterhouse is good. I do really want to try Guinness Foreign Export Stout, and can't wait to visit Ireland.

And Miller, Coors, Fosters, Carling, Harp, and for those in the know.... DUTCH GOLD. That is, after finishing a bottle of Buckfast.

Seriously though, more people are drinking lagers than stouts. And the stouts keep on getting more lager-y each year. It's a shame really. To get a proper stout in Ireland one has to look pretty hard.

I went to school in Ireland and I hardly saw Harp there at all. The locals in Limerick all drank Guinness though, or at least they did in 2005. At that point there was no competition in that town, it was Guinness or nothing.

Back