Bacardi??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyplayer12

Reaction score
im new to the homebrewing community, actually Ive only brewed 2 batches. First one not soo good lol 2nd one a lot better. Anyways, my girlfriend is pressing me to make a batch of home brew similar to a Bacardi 0 or one of those GOD AWFUL fruity beers! 1 of my 2 bacthes was a cherry wheat, anyone know if its even possible to brew a similar beer? Not really sure where to start on that, if anyone can give some advice it would help out a ton. THANKS!

I don't really think you are going to get an answer to your question. I don't think anyone here makes that kind of stuff. Just so ya know.

It's actually quite difficult to replicate those 'malt beverages' as it were, since it's mostly artificial sweeteners and vodka with a little malt added in. The apfelwein thread is a good sweet drink and doesn't take very many to become a panty remover. Also the Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale has been a good hit with the ladies IMO, since it tastes a lot like caramel.

EvilTOJ said:
and doesn't take very many to become a panty remover. .

good info...haha

bringing some on a camping trip with a big group of people.. i'll keep this secret among the guys.:mug:

The difficulty that people are referring to is the fact that drinks such as Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi O, etc all contain sugar.

"Wait. Why's that a difficulty?" you're asking?

Remember that when we brew, yeast turns sugar into alcohol. Therefore, once your batch of "malt beverage" is done fermenting, if you want to sweeten it you will have to kill the yeast. But yeast is how we carbonate our beer.

The answer is that this variety of drink is almost impossible to "clone" without kegging equipment. Then, you can ferment a sugar-based beverage up to about 5%, kill the yeast using Campden, and then keg it and force carbonate it.

Here's a link for something similar to what you are looking for:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29532
And here are a couple more worth reading:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27966
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21093

Otherwise, you might just try brewing the Apfelwein - but honestly I'd go light on the dextrose the first time you brew it. I brewed it according to the recipe, and it's slightly too strong for me to enjoy on most evenings. Gets SWMBO drunk though :tank:

Time to try mead. It's just honey, yeast and water. Done well, it is the beverage of the gods. Of course, it can take a year or more before it gets really good.

Good suggestion! Search for "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead" - YooperBrew posted the recipe, I've heard it's fantastic stuff!!!

Heres an option since it would prob cost more to brew this non-beer, and you can still make her happy.

Buy a bunch of that crap and open it up. Ok maybe a 6er. Rebottle them and say you made it. I bet that will be the best night ever! Ha, just a thought.

What position do you play? With a number like 12 I would think forward. Im a goalie.

I think that anything like a "malt beverage" would be tough, and if you're already made a cherry wheat and she didn't care for it, I think it would be difficult to make a beer that would fit the bill. I would think a cherry wheat would be as fruity and light as you could get and still use malt extract.

There are some unusual kits, though, that are actually wine kits but make like a wine cooler type wine. Island mist comes to mind. I love hard lemonade, and that's a good one with summer coming.

(You play hockey? I'm a defenseman)

Here's an idea! Brew one of the plainer, simpler hard lemonades, shoot for about 2.5 gal, and don't worry about carbonating it. Just bottle it still or near-still.

Then, brew a very light pilsner or a light american wheat or american pale ale with low hop usage.... If you want, this can be 5 gals or 2.5 gals if you dont want a lot around.

Then when they're both ready, open one of each for you and for her. Pour 1/2 of each bottle into each of your glasses, and enjoy a nice summer shandy!

Alternately, you could just brew a reasonably strong pils/am wheat/apa/etc (5% -6%) and then mixing with a 2l bottle of carbonated store-bought lemonade or something. Some German (especially teens) like to drink beer mixed with 7up/lemon lime soda ... it's really quite nice and refreshing.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back